COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size

Accommodation pods

The NSW Government is partnering with the Minderoo Foundation’s Fire Fund to provide more than 100 temporary accommodation pods.

The pods are stand-alone units with built in electricity, water, cooking and ablution facilities. They can accommodate individuals, couples or small families of 3 or 4, and will be available for people to live in for up to 2 years, rent free.

They have been designed particularly with the needs of rural and remote bushfire victims in mind where homes and sheds have been destroyed and no alternative accommodation is available.

The Minderoo Foundation and the NSW Government are working closing with local councils, local recovery staff, charities and the Department of Housing to ensure the pods go to those in most need.


Anglicare is providing assistance to bushfire-impacted communities through emergency housing, homelessness support and food relief. If you've been affected by the bushfire crisis call 1800 875 153 or 02 6152 8444.

Anglicare locations fall within 3 Anglican dioceses: 

  • Bathurst
  • Canberra/Goulburn
  • Riverina.

Bushfire Housing Assistance Service

The Bushfire Housing Assistance Service provides help with:

  • emergency temporary accommodation
  • a private rental bond and advance rent costs
  • sourcing accommodation options from the private rental and short term housing sector
  • sourcing accommodation options in your local communities or areas where you have family or local networks.

You can access the service by visiting Find a housing office and entering your postcode, suburb or town in the search bar. Your nearest housing office will display.

Free mail redirection

Australia Post is offering free mail redirection for up to 12 months to individuals and small businesses affected by natural disasters. For more information, visit Australia Post's website.

Information for tenants

If you were renting in bushfire-affected areas, and the premises has been damaged or destroyed, visit Fair Trading to find out about your rights and responsibilities with regards to the:

  • tenancy agreement
  • rent
  • repairs.

For more extensive information, visit the Tenants' Union Disaster Damage page. Their factsheet is about damage to rented premises that is neither the fault of the landlord nor the tenant.

Planning changes – DPIE

As a result of the bushfires and in an effort to assist communities recover as quickly as possible, certain changes have been made to planning rules and requirements.

Visit Bushfire recovery for more details.