Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.


If you're facing financial hardship, you may be able to make payment arrangements with ASIC for your fees. In some cases, they may also waive your fees.

Visit ASIC Bushfire Relief for more information and to access the online application form.


The ATO will automatically defer lodgement and payment obligations for businesses in bushfire-affected postcodes until 28 May 2020 – you do not have to apply for a deferral.

If you've been impacted but your business is outside the designated postcode areas, call the ATO’s Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218.

The ATO can also re-issue lost or damaged tax documents and will allow bushfire-affected businesses to: 

  • pay their Pay As You Go (PAYG) instalments quarterly  
  • claim a refund for the instalment amount paid for the September 2019 quarter 
  • opt into monthly GST reporting to get quicker access to GST refunds.

Council rates relief

If you own a farm or property that has suffered damage beyond repair in the 2019/2020 bushfires, you may be eligible for 6 months of council rates relief from your local council.

Financial counselling

The Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) can assist with reviewing your financial situation, identifying the right assistance, helping with applications, re-evaluating business goals and developing a fire recovery plan.

Call 1800 686 175 to be referred to your nearest RFCS office.

Financial difficulty

If you’ve lost your business or can’t work in your business due to the fires, or you’re a primary producer who has been impacted, contact your financial providers as soon as possible to let them know your situation.

If you believe your situation is not being given genuine consideration, contact AFCA for help.

Financial institutions

Various banks are providing help for bushfire-affected individuals through a range of financial assistance packages, deferred loans, waived fees and charges, grants and relief. Contact your bank's helpline for more information on the options available to you.

Payroll tax

All wages paid or payable to the following employees are exempt from payroll tax: 

  • volunteer firefighters 

  • emergency responders (SES).  

For more information, visit Revenue NSW or call 1300 139 815.

Planning Reform Fund and BASIX Certificate fees

Planning Reform Fund and BASIX Certificate fees will be waived on all development applications related to homes damaged or destroyed in the recent bushfires.

Fire-affected property owners can also arrange for a BASIX Certificate to be issued free of charge. 

For more information, visit the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment


SafeWork is offering rebates to small businesses and sole traders who buy and install equipment that makes their workplace safer.

For more information visit SafeWork NSW.