COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size

If you are eligible to apply for a 2021 COVID-19 business grant, you will need to have documentation ready to support your eligibility.

For more detailed information on eligibility, read the grant's guidelines.

Supporting documents list

When you or your authorised agent applies for the grant, you must submit an Australian income tax return or other documentation that demonstrates your business had an aggregated annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million (inclusive) for the year ended 30 June 2020.

Businesses that have a substituted accounting period (that is, do not have an income tax year end of 30 June 2020) can provide the Australian income tax return for the last financial year before 30 June 2020.

If your business is not on the highly impacted industries list, you must also submit:

  • evidence that your business experienced the required decline in turnover due to the public health order over a minimum 2-week period from 26 June 2021 to 17 July 2021 compared to the same period in 2019 or 2020 or to the 2 weeks immediately prior to any restrictions of 12 June to 25 June 2021 (inclusive). This can be in the form of a:
    • letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent (see our template letter), or
    • previously submitted letter from your qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent to Service NSW that verifies your business' decline in turnover.

Non-employing accounting businesses (for example, sole traders) must submit a letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent that is not an employee or director of the business, an associated entity of the business, or a director or employee of an associated entity of the business.

For southern border businesses, the turnover period is from 27 May 2021 to 17 July 2021 compared to the same period in 2019, or the same period in 2020, or the 2 weeks immediately prior to any restrictions of 12 June to 25 June 2021 (inclusive), or the 2-week period immediately before the Victorian Stay at Home Directions began (13 May to 26 May 2021).

You may also be required to lodge other supporting documents to demonstrate your business meets the eligibility criteria.

Payroll up to $10 million

If your total Australian wages were $10 million or less on 1 July 2020, you will also need to provide one of the following:

  • an accountant letter from an independent accountant confirming the business's total Australian wages were up to $10 million (on letterhead), or
  • acceptable alternatives such as:
    • yearly profit/loss statement with business name/ABN
    • sales register
    • sales customer summary that can be printed from accounting software
    • payroll summary report
    • total wages paid.

Business with an ABN registered in another state

To prove your business operates in NSW, you can provide commercial rates notices or lease agreements.

If these documents are not available, Service NSW may accept a combination of the following:

  • utility bills
  • insurance papers
  • supply invoices
  • registration papers
  • contractor licences.

Not-for-profit organisations

If you're a not-for-profit that is not registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) or NSW Fair Trading, you'll need to provide the following:

  • a copy of your constitution (or a governing document such as articles of association) 
  • minutes and resolutions from AGM (biannual meetings) for the previous 3 years
  • audited financial statements for the previous 3 years.


If you are applying on behalf of a trust, you will need to provide a letter from an independent accountant that shows an annual turnover of more than $75,000 is derived through the trust, as opposed to a business linked to a trust.

New businesses

New businesses must have been operating before 1 June 2021 to access support.

If your business opened in 2020 and you do not have figures from 2019, you need to provide one quarterly (or 3 individual monthly) business activity statement (BAS) to demonstrate turnover of between $75,000 and $50 million. The reported turnover will be annualised. 

More information

  • Letter of authority – Your accountant or tax agent will need to be listed as a contact for your business on the Australian Business Register (ABR) in order to submit an application on your behalf. If they are not listed, they will need to include a letter of authority with the application. A letter of authority is a legal document that authorises a third party to act on your behalf if they are not listed as an associate on the ABR. See our letter of authority template.
  • Aggregated annual turnover means your annual turnover (all ordinary income you earned in the ordinary course of running a business for the income year) plus the annual turnover of any entities you are connected with or that are your affiliates. For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office website.
  • Business activity statement (BAS) – How you lodge your BAS determines how you will be able to find your statements. For example, if you lodge through the ATO online services for business, your next statement will be available there. If your accountant lodges your BAS on your behalf, they will be able to assist you. For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office website.