Service NSW (in partnership with the Department of Education) is collecting your personal information to connect you with industry experts and careers practitioners and provide you with personalised careers guidance and advice. The Careers NSW project is managed jointly by Service NSW and the Careers NSW team within the NSW Department of Education.
We will handle personal and health information in a responsible manner, in accordance with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act).
Types of information we collect
Service NSW may collect your personal and health information during your Careers NSW registration. This may include your:
- contact information such as mobile number and email address
- level of education
- current employment status and industry
- recent employment history
- industry of interest
- highest qualification
- requests for interpreter service (and requested language)
- preference to have a practitioner with experience in supporting people from an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
- preference to have a practitioner with experience in supporting people from a diverse cultural or linguistic (non-English speaking) background
- preference to have a practitioner with experience in supporting people who have a disability
- preference to have a practitioner with experience of supporting women considering non-traditional careers.
Providing us with the requested information is not required by law. However, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, Service NSW and/or the NSW Department of Education may not be able to provide you with the services and support you require.
If you have been directed to Careers NSW through the Service NSW COVID-19 Assistance Finder, then you may have already provided some personal information to Service NSW, for example, information about your housing situation, age or residential status. The information provided to Service NSW through the COVID-19 Assistance Finder may be used to determine that you should be referred to Careers NSW, but that information is not otherwise used for the purposes of Careers NSW and will not be disclosed to the NSW Department of Education or any careers practitioners or industry experts in connection with Careers NSW.
Purpose for collecting your information
Service NSW is collecting your personal and health information to assist the NSW Department of Education with matching you to the most appropriate careers guidance and advice. This includes the following purposes:
- to match you with a careers practitioner or industry expert and facilitate a booking
- to help careers practitioners or industry experts (if applicable) to prepare for their session with you
- to contact you about future services and programs to support study, skills or employment prospects
- to contact you for the purposes of evaluating the services provided to you
- to measure the performance of the Careers NSW service and improve the program
- to maintain and use information about you for Service NSW’s internal administrative purposes, including for the purpose of interacting with you in connection with your registration
- other directly related purposes.
Service NSW may also collect aggregated and de-identified information for analytical and reporting purposes.
Using and disclosing your information
Service NSW will use your personal and health information, and disclose it to the NSW Department of Education, for the purposes mentioned above.
Service NSW may use your personal information for other directly related purposes but will not use your personal information for any other secondary purposes unless you provide your consent or Service NSW is otherwise authorised or required to do so by law.
Service NSW may also disclose aggregated information to the NSW Department of Education to report on the Careers NSW project. All such reporting will not contain any information that will enable you to be identified.
Disclosure to careers practitioners and industry experts
When you request a booking with a careers practitioner, we will disclose some of your personal information to the practitioner to help them prepare for your session. This may include your name, contact details, postcode, employment status, current or most recent job title, current or most recent industry, industry of interest, your highest qualification, any requests that the practitioner should have specific cultural or other experience and any request for an interpreter.
When you request a booking with an industry expert for guidance, we will disclose only your name and contact details to the expert to help them prepare for your session.
When you meet a careers practitioner or industry expert, they may take notes of your session. These notes will be stored securely, and a summary of session outcomes may be provided to the NSW Department of Education. A copy of these summary notes can be provided to you, upon email request to the NSW Department of Education.
Protecting your information
Service NSW will take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure, or other misuse.
Any personal information collected as part of the booking process or session summary notes will be kept by the NSW Department of Education. The NSW Department of Education will retain and store your personal information securely for a period of 7 years, before deletion.
Accessing your information
You may ask for access to the information we hold about you at any time and request to update, correct or amend your personal information by calling 13 77 88.
For further details about how Service NSW collects and manages personal information, how you can access and correct it, raise concerns about an alleged breach of privacy law or other relevant legislation, or to make a privacy complaint, please visit Service NSW Privacy.
You can also contact the NSW Department of Education via CareersNSW@det.nsw.edu.au.
2-24 Rawson Place
Sydney NSW 2000