Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

Free mail redirection 

Australia Post is offering free mail redirection for up to 12 months to individuals and small businesses affected by natural disasters. For more information, visit Australia Post's website.

Tenants, landlords and homeowners

You can call 13 32 20 for assistance, if you're:

  • a tenant or landlord whose rented property is affected by the floods
  • a homeowner with a complaint about tradespeople and their flood remediation home building work
  • impacted by flood related issues, such as cancelled accommodation, weddings and services.

For more information, visit Floods and Tenancy Rights and Tenants' Union Disaster Damage.

Rent and bond support

If you're unable to return to your home due to the floods and need support to enter the private rental market, you can contact the Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322.

A rental bond loan and a grant for advance rent may be available.