COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

You are viewing an unpublished preview of this page.

View live version of the page


Building practitioners now need to apply for registration under new legislation to:

  • make declarations that class 2 buildings or buildings with a class 2 part will be constructed to designs that are compliant with the Building Code of Australia
  • lodge regulated designs on the NSW Planning Portal for class 2 buildings or buildings with a class 2 part.

Class 2 buildings are residential apartment buildings. They’re typically multi-unit, multi-storey buildings where people live above and below each other.

In this application, building practitioners can apply for 2 registration types:

  • general:
    • if you’re authorised to make compliance declarations for building work
    • if you prepare and provide required documents for building work
    • if you hold a contractor licence for general building work under the Home Building Act 1989.
  • body corporate nominee:
    • if you’re a registered building practitioner that has been nominated by a body corporate
    • if the body corporate that has nominated you holds a building practitioner - body corporate registration
    • if you’re authorised to prepare and provide documents as a building practitioner on behalf of a registered body corporate
    • if you hold a supervisor certificate or you’re authorised to do general building work under the Home Building Act 1989.

You can register for 1, 3 or 5 years. Fees are applicable.


To be eligible to apply, you need to:

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • proof of identity such as an Australian driver licence, passport or Medicare card
  • your National Police Check certificate that is valid for 4 months when you submit your application (Name and Date of Birth Check only)
  • your endorsed contractor licence authorising you to do general building work, or a supervisor certificate
  • your contact details
  • a current credit card for payment.

How to apply

You can save your progress in the application and return later

  1. Check the eligibility criteria for the registration types and classes you want to apply for.
  2. Gather your certificates and other required documents.
  3. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  4. Log in or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Select and verify your 2 identity documents.
  6. Select the registration types and classes you’re applying for.
  7. Select the duration of your registration.
  8. Answer all questions in the digital form, including those on your suitability to perform the work and your background.
  9. Upload your supporting documents.
  10. Review your answers and give consent to process your application.
  11. Enter your payment details.
  12. Select ‘Submit’.
    • Note: this must be done within 60 days of starting your application.

More information

If you apply for registration on or before 31 December 2021, you’ll receive a ‘deemed’ registration ID. This means:

  • you can keep working while NSW Fair Trading assesses your application
  • NSW Fair Trading will contact you if more information is needed
  • if your application is successful, your registration ID will stay the same.

If you apply on or after 1 January 2022, you’ll:

  • need to stop making compliance declarations and/or lodging designs while NSW Fair Trading assesses your application and approves your registration
  • be notified about the result of your application within 28 days of submitting it (unless placed on hold, pending further information)