Under the Public Health (COVID-19 Border Control) Order 2020, anyone who has been in Victoria in the past 14 days must not enter NSW unless:
- they hold a current entry permit
- they are authorised to enter under the order.
If you’re requesting different permit conditions, you’ll need to apply for an exemption.
Exemptions to the order can be considered under the following circumstances:
- a critical service permit holder requesting to travel by road, or by air to an airport other than SYD (supported by permit/lease/contract of sale)
- relocating/returning NSW resident requesting to travel by road and self-isolate
- person(s) wanting to transit through NSW by road
- extenuating circumstances where travel is required, and no relevant permit exists.
Note: Exemptions are rare and are only considered after a thorough risk assessment is completed to ensure the community of NSW is protected from the risk of COVID-19.
To travel by road into NSW, or transit through NSW by road, you’ll need to provide:
- clear information about why you cannot fly and evidence to support your request
- your safe travel plan outlining how you’ll reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission during your road trip
- if planning to stay overnight during the trip:
- the address of where you’ll be staying
- evidence that the hosts accept guests who are coming from Victoria
- your self-isolation plan.
- evidence of acceptance into the next jurisdiction (if applicable)
- your critical service permit/permit codes (if applicable).
To self-isolate at another location rather than undertaking 14 days of hotel quarantine, you’ll need to provide:
- clear information about why you cannot undertake hotel quarantine, including evidence to support your request. Note: people requiring medical care can undertake quarantine in special health hotels with healthcare support
- your self-isolation plan detailing how you propose to safely quarantine in an alternate location.
documentation from your treating doctor confirming health issues, special equipment and/or support that you need
- a letter from your employer requesting you obtain an exemption, and why
you’re performing a critical service and need to transport bulky or sensitive equipment
clear details of your reason for entering NSW, together with documents to support your reason.
leaving Victoria fully fuelled and having food and drinks available on board to minimise interactions with NSW communities
not stopping in built up areas
when stopping in NSW, maintaining physical distance, wearing a mask and gloves, having hand sanitizer available and using it frequently
- keeping a log of your movements in NSW.
People undertaking self-isolation may be followed up by the public health unit and/or NSW Police.
If you believe you fit the criteria for exemption, and have all relevant supporting documentation, please apply for an exemption.