The animal welfare transport subsidy provides up to $20,000 for eligible primary producers who have livestock where:
- their animals are at significant risk in terms of animal welfare
- there is limited available feed and/or water.
The subsidy covers up to 50% of the transport of the stock to sale or slaughter.
- you must be receiving the Farm Household Allowance or be an eligible client of the local Rural Financial Counselling Service
- your removed stock had a fat score of 2 or below (3 or below for dairy cattle).
What you need
- proof of your property's location (your latest Local Land Service (LLS) and Local Government Area (LGA) rates notices)
- confirmation that you're in financial need such as a letter from Centrelink or a Rural Financial Counsellor
- confirmation that the removal of livestock was for animal welfare reasons (for example, the confirmation of fat scores from a purchasing agent)
- your owner carrier papers (registration papers and log book entries)
- proof of expenditure such as tax invoice(s)
- signed transportation costs sheet – PDF
- your bank account details.
How to apply
- Complete and sign your transportation costs sheet – PDF.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Complete the online form.
- Upload the required documentation.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete Transport Subsidy Animal Welfare Claim Form – DOC
- Gather all the required documentation.
- Lodge your application using the details on the form.