COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size

If you’re planning to import or manufacture a new industrial chemical in Australia, you’ll need an assessment certificate. 

A 'new chemical' is one that is not listed on the Australian Inventory of Industrial Chemicals, and either: 

  • its indicative risk to human health and/or the environment is medium to high
  • falls within an assessed category of the Australian Industrial Chemicals Introduction Scheme (AICIS).

Note: The AICIS replaced the National Industrial Chemical Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS) on 1 July 2020. Controlled used permits issued under NICNAS are now time-limited assessment certificates under AICIS until 30 June 2022. For more information, see Controlled used permits.

You'll be taken to another website.