If you want to buy, sell, exchange or dispose of businesses or professional practices (including part interest, goodwill and stocks in the business), you'll need to apply for a business agent licence. You can apply for this licence online.


To be eligible, you must:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • be fit and proper to hold a licence
  • have paid the relevant contribution to the Property Services Compensation Fund
  • have successfully completed the business agent's licence course – CPP40507 Certificate IV in Property Services (Business Broking)
  • have your principal place of work in NSW, or within 50 km of the NSW border.

What you need

  • your personal and business details
  • business name registration from ASIC (if applicable)
  • a copy of your identity document (such as driver licence, photo card, passport)
  • evidence of your qualifications
  • evidence of professional indemnity insurance
  • Notification of partnership particulars form – PDF (if applicable)
  • Licensee-in-Charge Details – PDF (if applicable)
  • your interstate licence if operating outside NSW borders (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Download, print and complete any applicable forms.
  4. Accept the Terms and Conditions.
  5. Select 'Start'.
  6. Sign in to, or create your OneGov account.
  7. Complete the online form.
  8. Attach all relevant documentation.
  9. Submit your application.

If you already hold a property licence and are applying for an additional licence:

  1. Complete the Property, stock and business agents: application for a licence (Individual) – PDF
  2. Make sure you've attached all the required documents and filled in the payment details.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.
You'll be taken to another website.