A Companion Card is for people with a significant and permanent disability. When a cardholder buys a ticket at selected venues and facilities around NSW, their carer or companion will be given a second ticket at no charge.
If you meet the eligibility requirements and would like to apply for a Companion Card, complete the application form and mail it to the Companion Card Program.
You're eligible if the following apply:
- you're an Australian citizen or resident and live in NSW
- you have a severe or profound disability
- you're unable to participate at most community venues or activities without significant assistance with mobility, communication, self-care and planning
- the use of aids and other technologies don't meet your needs
- your need for this level of support will be life-long.
What you need
- your personal details
- the PDF form – 'NSW Companion Card Application form'
- two colour passport sized photos, signed on the back by your service provider or health professional (whichever is applicable)
- your service provider to complete ITEM 4 of the application form (if applicable)
- your health professional to complete ITEM 6 of the application form (if applicable)
- supporting evidence such as doctor or specialist reports.
How to apply
- Read the Companion Card terms and conditions.
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Print and complete the form.
- Have your service provider or health professional complete the required sections of the application form.
- Gather your supporting documentation.
- Include two passport photos with your name and the signature of your service provider or health professional on the back of each photo.
- Mail your application and supporting documents to the address on the form.
- Companion Cards cannot be issued if there is a chance that you may become independent in the future as a result of treatment/management, training, recovery or developmental improvements.
- If you're unable to complete the application form yourself another person can complete it on your behalf.
- Companion Cards are issued in your name and you choose your carer or companion in each instance.
- When booking or buying tickets from an affiliate be sure to show them the Companion Card.
- If booking over the phone be sure to tell the operator you have a Companion Card before you pay, and show your card once you get to the venue.
- A list of venues and events where you can use your Companion Card is available on the Companion Card website.
- If your Companion Card has been lost, stolen, damaged, or your name or photo needs updating, you can request a replacement card by calling 1800 893 044 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.