Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

The following permits expired at 11:59pm on 6 August: 

  • NSW returning resident permits 
  • in-transit permits
  • critical services permits (except if you live in the border region or if you're responsible for the commercial movement of freight or persons)
  • relevant education visitor permits. 

You can re-apply for a permit if you meet the updated eligibility requirements.

Employers of highly-specialised critical service workers in non-border regions can register for a COVID-19 NSW border entry permit for their workers.

Note: Quarantine fees will be waived for NSW residents returning from Victoria who:

  • are presently in quarantine
  • who enter quarantine prior to 11 September.

ACT residents returning home from Victoria

From 13 August to 17 August, ACT residents with an Entry Authorisation Certificate issued by the ACT Chief Health Officer will be permitted to cross the border at Wodonga. Travellers must pass through the checkpoint between 9am and 11.30am and arrive in the ACT before 3:00pm.

Certain travel restrictions and conditions apply so please visit the ACT Government's COVID-19 page for more information.

After 17 August, all ACT residents seeking to enter the ACT from Victoria will need to do so by air.


Until further notice, you’ll need a transit permit to enter NSW if you've been in Victoria in the last 14 days, except if you're entering NSW:

  • as an emergency or law enforcement services worker
  • to access emergency medical, hospital, dental or veterinary care
  • to avoid injury or escape a risk of harm. 

All NSW residents are strongly urged not to travel to Victoria. If travel is essential, then permits are in place to help contain the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health and jobs of NSW residents.

Both adults and children are required to get a permit to travel from Victoria to NSW.

The permit is valid for 3 days from the date of issue.

In almost all cases, permits are issued subject to conditions. Your permit will indicate if you need to:

You can apply for a permit online.


To be eligible for a permit, you must be one of the following: 

  • a border zone resident entering for work, education, medical care/supplies or to provide care to a vulnerable person/to receive care if you're a vulnerable person (includes services for personal care, mental health, domestic violence and victims of crime). This also includes seasonal workers living in the border zone in Victoria and undertaking farm work in the border zone in NSW (you must not travel outside the border zone in Victoria within 14 days of crossing into NSW and you must carry evidence of your residential address and work location). 
  • a border resident in a remote community – list of exempt remote communities
  • a person transiting through NSW by air to travel outside of NSW by air (permits only have a 3-day usage window) 
  • a member of parliament or staff member
  • a Victorian boarding school or university college student, staff member or parent/guardian accompanying a minor
  • a NSW resident who is a student at a boarding school outside NSW
  • a specialist school student, staff member, service provider or parent/guardian accompanying a minor
  • a carer for a person entering NSW
  • a person providing a critical service consisting of the commercial transportation of freight or persons (please refer to the National Freight Movement Code – PDF)
  • a person residing and providing a critical service in the border region, including: 
    • Commonwealth defence and security services
    • maintenance and repair of critical infrastructure
    • medical, hospital, dental or veterinary care
    • COVID-19 environmental cleaning on a commercial basis that is not available locally
    • mining, energy, agriculture, construction or manufacturing (only frontline workers who are undertaking direct and essential operational activities to ensure major infrastructure and essential services are maintained and not interrupted).
  • if you’re a person residing and providing a critical service in a non-border region (i.e. not in the border region). The critical service must be:

You're also eligible for a permit if you are entering:

  • for child access and care arrangements
  • for essential medical or hospital services unavailable locally or not accessible remotely
  • to attend court as a defendant, witness or a lawyer in a case, or to meet other legal obligations imposed by a court or an Act (such as bail or parole obligations)
  • on compassionate grounds for the provision of "within days of death" support, or to attend a funeral or memorial service. You will need to apply to NSW Health for a compassionate permit exemption code before applying for your border entry permit. All cases are reviewed by a medical team for eligibility.


  • You won't be eligible for a permit if Victoria's current public health restrictions prevent you from travelling.
  • If you're an ACT resident in Victoria wishing to return home, you can only access the ACT by air. On arrival at Canberra airport you'll need to:
    • provide evidence you're an ACT resident
    • have notified ACT Health of your return to the ACT
    • quarantine for 14 days.
  • You don't need a permit, if you're entering NSW:
    • as an emergency or law enforcement services worker
    • to access emergency medical, hospital, dental or veterinary care
    • to avoid injury or escape a risk of harm. 

What you need

  • your personal details (name and date of birth)
  • your contact details (residential address, phone number and email address)
  • your exemption category
  • a declaration on your COVID-19 exposure and overseas travel in the last 14 days
  • the address where you intend to stay in NSW. 

How to apply

  1. Before applying for a permit, you must check Victoria's current public health restrictions and comply with the travel restrictions. 
  2. Check the eligibility requirements
  3. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete the online form.

After applying, you'll receive an email with your NSW border entry permit. Please have your permit and supporting documentation with you when crossing the border. 

More information

  • The NSW Public Health Orders outline the specific reasons under which you may apply for a permit to enter NSW from Victoria. It is your responsibility to have the correct permit and supporting documentation for checking by NSW authorities upon arrival. For more information, including border entry rules and conditions, visit NSW-Victoria border restrictions
  • You may be allowed into NSW if you have supporting evidence but have not been able to get a permit, however this is not guaranteed. Visit Compassionate permits for travellers from Victoria to NSW for more information.

Border region

The "border region" means the area consisting of the suburbs with the following postcodes:

In New South Wales – 2550, 2551, 2625, 2627, 2628, 2632, 2633, 2640,
2641, 2642, 2643, 2644, 2646, 2647, 2648, 2653, 2659, 2710, 2711,
2712, 2713, 2714, 2715, 2717, 2731, 2732, 2733, 2734, 2735, 2736,
2737, 2738, 2739, 2879

In Victoria – 3490, 3494, 3496, 3498, 3500, 3501, 3502, 3505, 3549,
3562, 3564, 3566, 3565, 3567, 3568, 3579, 3580, 3581, 3583, 3584,
3585, 3586, 3588, 3589, 3590, 3591, 3594, 3595, 3596, 3597, 3599,
3621, 3622, 3637, 3638, 3639, 3640, 3641, 3644, 3649, 3682, 3683,
3685, 3687, 3688, 3690, 3691, 3700, 3701, 3704, 3705, 3707, 3708,
3709, 3728, 3730, 3885, 3888, 3889, 3890, 3891, 3892, 3900.

Note: The border region only applies to the critical services worker in the border region permit. 

For details on the "border zone" for the border zone resident permit, see Border zone address check