You can apply to find out if your current or former partner has a history of violent criminal offences, through the NSW Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS).

The NSW Police Force will conduct criminal record checks, and process applications within 2 weeks. If they believe there's a serious threat to your life or safety, you'll be told of any relevant convictions within 48 hours.

The person you're enquiring about will not be told of your application.

Anyone in immediate danger should call Triple Zero (000).

What you'll need

  • your personal details
  • details of your children (if applicable)
  • your current/former partner's details
  • your reason for making the application
  • your proof of identity (as detailed on the application form)
  • the PDF form – 'Application to receive information about my current or former partner'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete, print and sign the form.
  4. Submit the form, along with your identification documents, at a participating police station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Who's eligible?

You need to:

  • live in one of the following NSW Police Force Local Area Commands (a complete list of suburbs is located on the last page of the application form):
    • Sutherland (Menai/Engadine/Sutherland region)
    • Oxley (Tamworth region)
    • Shoalhaven (Nowra region)
    • St George (Kogarah/Hurstville region).
  • be aged 16 years or older and:
    • be dating, married, engaged, separated, divorced, de facto, or promised under cultural or religious tradition, to your current/former partner, or
    • be in a relationship (same or different gender) that may or may not be sexual, or
    • have ongoing contact with a former partner (if applicable).

Domestic and family violence is abusive or intimidating behaviour by a partner, carer or family member, in order to control, dominate or cause fear. It can be physical, emotional, psychological, financial, sexual or some other type of abuse.

Things to keep in mind...

  • If the Police have relevant information, it will be given to you in person, at a safe location, and with a domestic violence support service worker present.
  • If you're concerned for a friend or relative, you can Apply as a third party for a criminal check of someone's partner.
  • It's an offence to provide false or misleading information.

You'll be taken to another website.