COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you want to drive a Higher Mass Limits (HML) vehicle outside the approved HML road network, you'll need to apply for an access permit through the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). 

If you're operating a Performance-Based Standards vehicle at HML, you'll need to apply for a Performance-Based Standards (PBS) access permit.

The NHVR permit applies to travel throughout Australia, with the exception of Western Australia and the Northern Territory, where you'll need to apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority

For the most up-to-date information on how to apply for a Higher Mass Limits (HML) vehicle access permit, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website. 

You'll be taken to another website.