COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


The Intelligent Access Program (IAP) is a national program developed with all Australian road agencies. The aim of the program is to provide restricted access and over dimension/mass vehicle operators with improved access to Australia’s road network.

Under the IAP, enrolled vehicles have an in-vehicle device installed to remotely monitor and automatically record the date, time, and position of the heavy vehicle to check the driver’s compliance with approved access conditions.

Enrolment in the IAP is a mandatory road condition for certain permits and vehicles, and may also be imposed as a condition by a road manager. You need to check if you're required to enrol in the IAP with the relevant state or territory road transport authority.

NSW operators can apply online through Transport for NSW (TfNSW). 


Enrolment in the IAP is a road access condition in NSW for:

  • HML vehicles, including quad axle group combinations
  • B-triples or AB-triples
  • modular B-triples operating at GML on certain routes
  • vehicles operating under Performance Based Standards (PBS) access level 2B or above
  • high risk mobile cranes.

If you operate any of the above vehicles in NSW, you need to:

  • enrol in the IAP through TfNSW
  • apply for the appropriate access permit from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR), if applicable.

If you're operating outside of NSW, you can check the IAP requirements and enrol in the program with the relevant state or territory road transport authority.

What you need

  • the operator’s details
  • your driver licence details
  • your registration details
  • your National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS) details (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  3. Agree to the terms and conditions.
  4. Complete the online form and attach any required documents.
  5. Submit your application.

You're not eligible to apply online if your heavy vehicle is one of the following:

  • Higher Mass Limits (HML) modern road train
  • General Mass Limits (GML) modular B-triple operating east of the Newell Highway
  • HML modular B-triple operating west of the Newell Highway, or
  • HML PBS combination.

You can enrol these vehicles by submitting an IAP enrolment form – PDF by email, fax, or mail to the details on the form.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit TfNSW.

More information

  • If a vehicle is enrolled in the IAP in a different state or territory, you'll still need to apply separately to TfNSW for travel in NSW.
  • Once your application has been approved, TfNSW will send you a NSW IAP Certificate of Enrolment via email.
  • There is no fee to process your enrolment in the IAP, however there may be charges to process related access permits and to install an IAP device.
  • You can find certified and audited IAP Service Providers to install an IAP device through Transport Certification Australia.
You'll be taken to another website.