If you hold a driver licence, and you're intending to travel overseas, it's advisable to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP) in case you need to drive when you're away.

Many countries require you to have the IDP in addition to your Australian state or territory issued driver licence, to legally drive a car or ride a motorbike.

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) has been authorised by the Australian government to issue IDPs, and each state or territory motoring club processes the application.

You can apply online for an IDP through the AAA's NSW member, NRMA, and if you have any queries, call the AAA on 6247 7311.

Note: Service NSW is now issuing IDPs on behalf of NRMA at the Wynyard Service Centre. You can purchase your IDP over the counter at the service centre.

What you'll need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your intended travel dates
  • a photocopy of both sides of your Australian driver licence
  • a recent passport size photo (taken no more than 6 months ago)
  • your payment.

If you're applying in person at Wynyard Service Centre:

  • your Australian driver licence
  • a recent passport size photo (taken no more than 6 months ago)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Ensure that your state is selected.
  3. Select 'Start IDP online application'.
  4. Fill in the required details, upload the necessary documentation, and make your payment.
  5. Your IDP will be posted to you, and arrive within 5 to 7 working days.

If you don't wish to apply online, you can download and complete the Application for International Driving Permit – PDF and  post your application with payment, to the details on the form. Alternatively, you can visit your nearest State motoring club.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible you must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • hold a provisional or unrestricted Australian driver licence.

Things to keep in mind...

  • IDPs are United Nations sanctioned documents and will always have "Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September, 1949" on their cover. They are only available from State and Territory motoring clubs.
  • An IDP is sometimes referred to as an international driving licence.
  • The IDP is not a stand alone document – you need to carry your Australian driver licence with you at all times.
  • Ensure your IDP allows you to drive or ride the vehicles you intend to use. Some insurance policies will not cover you if you have an accident using a vehicle you're not licensed to drive.
  • An IDP is valid for 12 months.
You'll be taken to another website.