Back to top

The Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills. 

The rebate is for NSW customers who have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme hot or cold environmental temperatures. To be eligible for the rebate, you'll need to have a diagnosis that you're unable to self-regulate your body temperature.

Note: Retail customers receive their energy bills directly from the retailer.

Download PDF form
  • the PDF form – '​NSW Medical Energy Rebate Application Form Retail Customers'
  • your pensioner concession, health care or gold card details
  • your personal and contact details
  • your medical practitioner to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form
  • your energy account details.
Download PDF form
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete the form.
  4. Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form.
  5. Send your completed form directly to your energy retailer.
Download PDF form

You can apply for the Medical Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:

  • is a NSW resident
  • is an account holder named on the bill of an energy retailer
  • has an inability to self-regulate body temperature
  • has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least 3 months
  • meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition
  • holds one of the following concession cards:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Department of Human Services (DHS)
    • Health Care Card issued by the DHS, or
    • DVA Gold Card.

If you're an on supply household and receive your energy bill from a strata manager or community/village operator please visit Apply for the Medical Energy Rebate (on supply customers)

Download PDF form
  • If you've been treated by different doctors from the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) for at least 3 months, you may still be eligible for the rebate.
  • If you change your energy supplier, tell them you receive the rebate, so you can continue to receive it.
  • You'll receive the rebate as approximately $71.00 credit on each quarterly energy bill, up to a total of $285.00/year. The amount is calculated daily from the day you apply.
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.
Download PDF form

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: