The Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills.
The rebate is for NSW customers who have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme hot or cold environmental temperatures. To be eligible for the rebate, you'll need to have a diagnosis that you're unable to self-regulate your body temperature.
Note: Retail customers receive their energy bills directly from the retailer.
You can apply for the Medical Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:
- is a NSW resident
- is an account holder named on the bill of an energy retailer
- has an inability to self-regulate body temperature
- has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least 3 months
- meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition
- holds one of the following concession cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Health Care Card issued by the DHS, or
- DVA Gold Card.
If you're an on supply household and receive your energy bill from a strata manager or community/village operator please visit Apply for the Medical Energy Rebate (on supply customers).
What you need
- the PDF form – 'NSW Medical Energy Rebate Application Form Retail Customers'
- your pensioner concession, health care or gold card details
- your personal and contact details
- your medical practitioner to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form
- your energy account details.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form.
- Send your completed form directly to your energy retailer.
- If you've been treated by different doctors from the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) for at least 3 months, you may still be eligible for the rebate.
- If you change your energy supplier, tell them you receive the rebate, so you can continue to receive it.
- You'll receive the rebate as approximately $71.00 credit on each quarterly energy bill, up to a total of $285.00/year. The amount is calculated daily from the day you apply.
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.