Text size


If you're applying for a blasting explosives user licence (BEUL) in one or more mining classes, you're required to provide a reference from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment that you're adequately trained and competent.

To obtain the reference you'll first need to complete an application form. A NSW Mine Safety inspector or officer will then verify the details you've supplied, and arrange for an assessment of your skills and knowledge. The assessment may be practical, oral and/or written.

You can download the 'BEUL reference application FORM DOCX' from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.


You're eligible if you:

  • are 18 years old or over
  • hold a security clearance.

What you need

  • certified copies of your qualifications
  • detailed evidence of your experience
  • reference from your employer or a BEUL licence holder verifying your experience in the nominated class
  • certified copies, and details of, interstate explosives licences (if applicable)
  • your security clearance (SC) licence details, or complete a security clearance licence application
  • verified access to the documents required to help you complete the mining legislation questionnaire on the form.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Visit the Department of Planning and Environment' button.
  2. Download and complete the 'BEUL reference application – DOCX'.
  3. Print the completed form.
  4. Fill in the questionnaire in your own handwriting.
  5. Sign the declaration.
  6. Gather together all the required documentation.
  7. Lodge your application by email (preferred), fax, post, or in person, to the details on the form.

More information

  • Information regarding the application process, and a description of the various mining classes are contained in the Blasting explosive user's licence (mining class) reference guide
  • If you're lodging an application for an SC licence with SafeWork NSW, your application for a reference from the Department of Industry won't be processed until you provide evidence of holding the SC.
  • The SC licence was previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL).
You'll be taken to another website.