If you're employed to hunt deer or other game animals on private property, you'll need a general professional game hunting licence (G-professional). You can apply for this licence online.

What you'll need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your residential/postal details
  • your business details
  • your current NSW firearms licence number and expiry date
  • your Waterfowl Identification Test number (if hunting native game birds in NSW)
  • your vehicle and registration details.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Complete the online form.
  3. Upload your supporting documents.
  4. Enter your payment details.
  5. Select 'Submit'.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for a G-professional licence you must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • be actively engaged or employed, or intend to be engaged or employed, as a professional contract shooter to control or suppress deer species on private land, for payment
  • have a registered business name and an active ABN
  • hold a current firearms licence with the genuine reason of:
    • Vertebrate Pest Animal Control - Contract Shooter
    • Business or Employment – other (eradication of birds or pest animals on non-rural land), OR
    • an equivalent interstate firearms licence.

To make sure that you have all the information you need to complete this transaction, please visit the Department of Primary Industries.

Things to keep in mind...

  • Professional hunting doesn't have any public liability insurance cover. Insurance cover for any paid activities is your responsibility.
  • To hunt on private land you must have the permission of the private landowner. 
  • Having a G-professional licence does not allow you to hunt on declared public hunting land.
  • Once your application is processed, you'll receive a vehicle identification sticker. This sticker must be displayed on your vehicle when hunting professionally.
  • You'll be provided with a log book, and must record all your professional hunting activities.
  • Each quarter, (March, June, September and December), you must send a copy of your log book pages to the Game Licensing Unit, within one month of the quarter ending.
  • If there are any changes to your details, let the Game Licensing Unit know within 14 days.
  • A condition of holding a game hunting licence is compliance with the regulations.
  • Licences can be from 1 to 5 years duration.
You'll be taken to another website.