Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

COVID-19 information

As part of the NSW Government’s economic stimulus package, the 2-year licence fee has been waived on new applications and renewals lodged between 15 April 2020 and 14 April 2021.


Individuals or corporations wishing to carry out demolition (or partial demolition) work on any building, structure or installation that's 4 metres high or more, need either a demolition licence, or a restricted demolition licence.

A demolition licence authorises all types of demolition work.

The restricted licence excludes demolition:

  • over 15 metres high
  • of chemical installations
  • involving a tower crane on site
  • involving a mobile crane with a rated capacity of more than 100 tonnes
  • of pre-tensioned or post-tensioned structures
  • involving floor propping, or
  • involving explosives.


To be eligible you must:

  • be 18 years or older
  • have successfully completed a SafeWork NSW recognised training course with a registered training organisation (RTO)
  • be able to demonstrate at least 3 years' work experience in an appropriate trade or in the relevant type of demolition work
  • be found to be 'fit and proper' by SafeWork NSW.

What you need

  • access to a printer
  • the application fee
  • a Demolition supervisor nomination form – PDF (if applicable)
  • a letter from a director or general manager confirming your position in the management of their corporation (if applicable)
  • evidence of your completion of a SafeWork NSW recognised training course
  • a certificate of currency for public liability with 'demolition' listed as the business activity
  • a certificate of currency for workers compensation insurance (if applicable)
  • for each demolition type you're applying for:
    • written statements of 2 safe work methods
    • written references from your previous supervisor or employer supporting your work experience claims
    • photos of relevant demolition work you've previously carried out.
  • the PDF form – 'Demolition licence application'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete and print the form.
  3. Attach all the required supporting documentation.
  4. Email your application, with payment, to or post to:

Customer Service Centre
Locked Bag 2906
Lisarow NSW 2252

More information

  • Corporations must nominate a suitably qualified person involved in the management of the corporation, as 'management supervisor'.
  • More information about the training requirements is available on the SafeWork NSW website.
  • Your demolition licence requires you to ensure that an approved supervisor is always present at a work site when demolition work is being carried out.
  • As a demolition licence holder, you and your supervisors must comply with all the requirements of the Work Health and Safety (WHS) regulation.
You'll be taken to another website.