COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


You'll need to apply for an access permit through the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) if:

  • your vehicle doesn't comply with the prescribed mass or dimension requirements set out in a gazette notice
  • you want to travel on the Performance-Based Standards (PBS) road network, or on a route that is outside the network of your particular heavy vehicle. 

The NHVR permit applies to travel throughout Australia, with the exception of Western Australia and the Northern Territory, where you'll need to apply directly to the relevant state or territory road transport authority.

You can apply for a PBS access permit if you hold a PBS Vehicle Approval. If you have a PBS Design Approval, you can apply for a PBS Vehicle Approval (formerly known as PBS Final Approval) at the same time as you apply for an access permit.

For the most up-to-date information on how to apply for a Performance-Based Standards (PBS) access permit, visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website. 

You'll be taken to another website.