Justices of the Peace (JPs) in NSW are appointed for 5-year terms. If you are a current JP in the final year of your term, and you'd like to apply for reappointment, you can do this online at the JP website.
If you are a current JP in NSW, you'll be reminded to apply for reappointment by the Department of Justice before the end of your 5-year term. You'll be reminded via email. You need to be registered for JP Online to receive the email. The reminder may be sent at any time, between 3 and 12 months before the expiry date of your appointment term.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete a reappointment application, please visit the Justices of the Peace website.
What you need
- to register for JP Online
- to pass the JP Knowledge Test which is based on the information in the JP Handbook
- to complete the online reappointment application form
- your JP registration number and personal details
- the application will indicate which documents you'll need to provide, and may include any of the following:
- your Australian driver licence
- if you're applying to be a community JP, you'll need to describe the community-based need for your appointment in 2000 words or less
- if you're applying as part of an employment need, a letter on your employer’s letterhead demonstrating the need for your appointment
- if you have changed your name, evidence that you have legally changed your name.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button to either login to your JP Online account or register for JP Online.
- Enter your JP Registration number and personal details.
- Receive an email from the Department of Justice confirming your registration.
- Log in to JP Online and take the JP Knowledge Test.
- Gather all required supporting documentation.
- Select ‘Re-apply to be a JP’ to complete your reappointment application.
you'll need to confirm your personal information and answer questions about your eligibility to continue as a JP
the form does not require you to be nominated for reappointment by a Member of Parliament, or to provide further character references
the online application takes about 15 minutes to complete
for security reasons, your session will 'time out' after 60 minutes and you'll lose any data that you entered
when you've finished entering your details, you'll be able to review them before you submit your application, and
make sure you submit your application before midnight on the expiry date of your current term, otherwise your appointment will automatically lapse.