The regional seniors travel card provides eligible seniors in regional, rural and remote areas with a $250 prepaid card to help ease the cost of travel. You can use the travel card at certain retailers across Australia to pay for fuel, taxis and pre-booked NSW Trainlink Regional trains and coaches.
You'll need to activate your card before you can use it.
The travel card is valid for 14 months from the date of issue (the date shown on your card letter). The expiry date is available on the front of the card.
The regional seniors travel card program is available for a 4-year trial period (2020-2023). Eligible seniors can apply for a card as follows:
- Applications for 2020 (Year 1) closed on 30 November 2020.
- Applications for 2021 (Year 2) opened on 18 January 2021 and will close on 30 November 2021.
- Applications for 2022 (Year 3) will open in early 2022.
Note: From early 2022, you can apply for a card if you're of Age Pension age and receiving either a Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment from Services Australia. This is in addition to eligible seniors that have already been receiving the card.
2020 card holders
If you managed your 2020 card on the card services website and would like to do the same for your 2021 card, you will need to create a new login with a new username for your 2021 card (you cannot add your 2021 card to your 2020 card login on the card services website).
For more information on using both your 2020 and 2021 card, see frequently asked questions or read the Get started with your regional seniors travel card guide.
To be eligible for the trial, you must:
- have reached the Age Pension age
- live in a designated regional area of NSW outside of Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong
- be receiving support from either Services Australia or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs as follows:
You must be:
- receiving the Age Pension; or
- a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holder.
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
You must be receiving one of the following:
- Age Pension
- Service Pension
- Disability Pension under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
- War Widow(er) Pension
Or hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
You must also have received your pension or have held your card for at least one month.
- Services Australia was formerly the Department of Human Services.
- From early 2022, you can also apply for a card if you're of Age Pension age and receiving either a Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment.
What you need
- your personal details (name, date of birth)
- your mother's maiden name (used to verify your identity if you need to enquire about your card)
- your residential address and delivery address
- your phone number
- your Services Australia customer reference number or Department of Veterans’ Affairs file number or unique identification number (UIN) as shown on your entitlement card. If your household has more than one applicant, use your UIN (if you have one).
- a MyServiceNSW Account and email address (only if you're applying online).
Note: The details you provide in your application must match those held by Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Read the Product Disclosure Statement and the full Terms and Conditions.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to complete and submit the online form.
- Your details will be verified and if successful, you will receive your card and PIN within 10 working days. Your card and PIN will arrive in separate envelopes.
Note: Due to the impact of COVID-19, you:
- If you change address, you need to update Services Australia or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs before you apply for a regional seniors travel card.
- Card management information (card activation, balances etc.) is provided with your card. You can also see Using your card and Managing your card for more information.
- If you have an authorised representative, they can apply for a regional seniors travel card, or register to manage a card, on your behalf. See Authorised representative for more information.
The regional seniors travel card is provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714. Conditions apply. Fees and charges may apply. For further information, please read the Product Disclosure Statement and the full Terms and Conditions. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it. This information is current as at November 2020.