Applications close on 30 November 2022

With the latest COVID-19 health advice, we strongly advise you to apply online or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. 

Please allow up to 20 business days from the time of application for your card and PIN to arrive. Due to the recent floods and COVID-19, there may be an additional postal delay in receiving your card or PIN. For enquiries about existing card applications, visit the card services website or call 1800 569 070.

Once you receive your card, you need to activate it within 45 days. You have at least 12 months to use your card from the date of activation.

Text size


The regional seniors travel card provides eligible seniors in regional, rural and remote areas with a $250 prepaid card to help ease the cost of travel. You can use the travel card at certain retailers across Australia to pay for fuel, taxis and pre-booked NSW Trainlink Regional trains and coaches. 

You'll need to activate your card before you can use it. 

The travel card is valid for 14 months from the date of issue (the date shown on your card letter). The expiry date is available on the front of the card. 

The regional seniors travel card program is available for a 4-year trial period (2020-2023). Eligible seniors can apply for a card as follows: 

  • Applications for 2020 (Year 1) closed on 30 November 2020.
  • Applications for 2021 (Year 2) closed on 30 November 2021.
  • Applications for 2022 (Year 3) close on 30 November 2022.

Current card holders

If you managed your card(s) on the card services website and would like to do the same for your 2022 card, you will need to create a new login with a new username for your 2022 card (you cannot add your 2022 card to your existing card login on the card services website).

For more information on using both your 2020 and 2021 card, see frequently asked questions or read the Get started with your regional seniors travel card guide.


To be eligible for the trial, you must:

Services Australia

You must be receiving one of the following:

  • Age Pension
  • Carer Payment
  • Disability Support Pension

Or hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. 

Department of Veterans’ Affairs

You must be receiving one of the following:

  • Age Pension
  • Service Pension
  • Disability Pension under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
  • War Widow(er) Pension

Or hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. 

  • You must also have received your pension or have held your card for at least one month. 


  • Services Australia was formerly the Department of Human Services.
  • On 17 January 2022, application eligibility expanded to include seniors of Age Pension age who receive either a Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment from Services Australia.

What you need

  • your personal details (name, date of birth)
  • your residential address and delivery address
  • your phone number
  • your Services Australia customer reference number or Department of Veterans’ Affairs file number or unique identification number (UIN) as shown on your entitlement card. If your household has more than one applicant, use your UIN (if you have one).
  • a security question (used to verify your identity if you need to enquire about your card with Card Services)
  • a MyServiceNSW Account and email address (only if you're applying online). 

Note: The details you provide in your application must match those held by Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Read the Product Disclosure Statement and the full Terms and Conditions.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account. 
  5. Follow the prompts to complete and submit the online form. 
  6. Your details will be verified and if successful, you will receive your card and PIN within 20 business days. Your card and PIN will arrive in separate envelopes. 

Note: Due to the impact of COVID-19, you:

  • may experience delays in receiving your card and PIN, and
  • are strongly advised to apply online or by phone (13 77 88), rather than visiting a service centre

More information

  • If you change address, you need to update Services Australia or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs before you apply for a regional seniors travel card. 
  • Card management information (card activation, balances etc.) is provided with your card. You can also see Using your card and Managing your card for more information. 
  • If you have an authorised representative, they can apply for a regional seniors travel card, or register to manage a card, on your behalf. See Authorised representative for more information.