If you need to register a public or heavy vehicle (re-establish without HVIS inspection), you can do this at a service centre.
An HVIS inspection is conducted on most classes of NSW registered heavy vehicles. If registration has lapsed on a public or heavy vehicle, the registration needs to be renewed within 3 months of the cancellation or expiry date.
The HVIS inspection must be conducted within 28 days of the re-establish date.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- your business details (if vehicle registered under business)
- your vehicle registration details
- proof of previous registration (for example, registration papers in the same registered operator's name)
- a completed HVAIS or AIS inspection report (signed and dated within the last 28 days)
- evidence of compulsory third party (green slip) insurance
- your payment
- the PDF form – Application for Registration'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- For heavy vehicles to be eligible for registration, they must meet all the requirements of either the Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) or the Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme (HVAIS). The scheme your vehicle belongs to will depend on the vehicle type.