If you want to teach an unlicensed person to ride a motorcycle in return for a fee or other compensation, you need to hold a riding instructor’s licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks and an instructor training course.

The first step is to submit the driving instructor's licence application form.

Please note, there is a separate application procedure if you already hold either an interstate licence or are a member of the NSW Police Force.

What you'll need

  • your proof of identity
  • a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the form
  • eye specialist or optometrist's report (if applicable)
  • your driver licence
  • your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number 
  • if you haven't held a NSW driver licence for more than 3 years, you'll need to provide a full driving record/history from the authority in the state or country where you previously held your driver licence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
  • 4 passport size photographs
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don't sign it until you visit a service centre.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

Who's eligible?

You must:

  • be aged 21 years or older
  • hold a current Australian driver licence
  • have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
  • have a WWCC number.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Roads and Maritime Services.

Things to keep in mind...

  • The application form requires your signature to be witnessed, so don't sign it until you attend the service centre.
  • Motorcycle instructors must be accredited by Roads and Maritime to instruct in the NSW Rider Training Scheme.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.