If you want to hold a body art tattooing show where tattooing procedures will be performed, you need to apply for a tattooing show permit.
An application for a permit must be made by an individual, even if it's on behalf of a company, partnership or trust.
You can apply by mail or in person at a service centre.
Applications can be made by individuals who are:
- at least 18 years of age
- an Australian citizen or resident
- not a controlled member of a declared organisation (a criminal gang) under the Crimes (Criminal Organisations Control) Act 2012.
The show’s participating tattooists must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- not be a controlled member of a declared organisation (a criminal gang) under the Crimes (Criminal Organisations Control) Act 2012
- not have participated in more than one other show in the previous 12 months.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading.
What you need
- your personal details
- driver licence number or Photo Card number
- your business details (if applicable)
- details of when and where the event will be held
- personal details of participants performing tattooing at the show, and their licence number if they hold a NSW tattoo parlour operator licence or NSW tattooist licence (this must be submitted at least 14 days before the start of the show)
- to ensure all participants comply with NSW legislative requirements in relation to body art tattooing, including health and local government requirements
- details of any previously issued tattooing show permit
- the PDF form – 'Application for a Tattooing Show Permit'.
How to apply
- The event permit is valid for a period of up to 7 days.
- You need to lodge your application for a permit 28 days before the proposed start date of the show.
- You can be granted a maximum of 2 tattooing show permits per calendar year.
- To perform body art tattooing procedures at a tattooing show, you need to hold a NSW tattooist licence or a NSW tattoo parlour operator licence as a self-employed individual.
- If your application is refused or withdrawn, the processing fee will not be refunded, but the fixed component of the permit fee will be.
- If a participating tattooist is not an Australian citizen and is visiting from another country, please read Visiting Overseas Body Artists wishing to work at shows Fact Sheet - PDF.