If you currently hold a general game hunting licence (G-licence) and you want to hunt game and feral animals on declared public land, you'll need to upgrade to a restricted game hunting licence (R-licence). You can do this via email, fax or post.

What you'll need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your residential/postal details
  • a copy of your hunter accreditation form (provided by your facilitator)
  • evidence of your Approved Hunting Organisation (AHO) membership
  • your Waterfowl Identification Test number (if hunting native game birds in NSW)
  • vehicle/dog details (if applicable)
  • parental/guardian consent (if under 18 years of age)
  • your method of payment
  • the PDF form – 'Application for a NSW Restricted Game Hunting Licence (Upgrade or Add Categories)'.

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Attach any supporting documents.
  4. Sign the declaration.
  5. Submit your application with payment by mail, email or fax, to the details on the form.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for an R-licence you must:

  • be a member of an AHO
  • be accredited in one or more of the R-licence categories (firearms, bows, dogs or blackpowder firearms).

To make sure that you have all the information you need to complete this transaction, please visit the Department of Primary Industries.

Things to keep in mind...

  • If you're hunting on private property, you'll need to get permission from the landholder prior to hunting.
  • If you're intending to hunt on declared public land, you'll need to:
    • complete two online education modules covering outdoor navigation and hunting written permission conditions
    • carry an operational Global Positioning System (GPS) enabled device at all times when hunting. State forest downloads must be uploaded to the GPS device. 
  • A condition of holding a game hunting licence is compliance with the regulations.
You'll be taken to another website.