The NSW Government is providing 6 months of council rates relief for eligible home, farm and business owners whose properties were damaged beyond repair in the 2019/2020 bushfires.
The council rates will be paid in full for quarter 3 (January – March) and quarter 4 (April – June) of the 2019/2020 financial year.
To be eligible you must:
- be a home, farm or business property owner in a bushfire declared disaster area
- have had your property deemed damaged beyond repair by the Rural Fire Service (RFS) and/or Emergency Information Coordination Unit (EICU).
You're not eligible if the only structure damaged or destroyed is an outbuilding on the property such as a shed.
How to apply
You do not need to apply for this council rates relief.
Service NSW is working with local councils in bushfire-affected areas to ensure that eligible property owners receive the benefit.
Eligible property owners will:
- have their accounts credited with the value of quarter 3 (Q3) and quarter 4 (Q4) council rates
- receive notification by post from Service NSW that their council rates have been paid in full for Q3 and Q4 of this financial year.
- If you've already paid your rates in advance, you have the option of contacting your local council to request a monetary refund.
- If you believe your property has suffered damage beyond repair, and you did not receive any notification of eligibility, call us on 13 77 88. Have a copy of your recent council rates notice on hand when you call.