The Safer Drivers Course is a combined theory and practical course for eligible learner drivers under 25 years old.
The course will help you understand more about speed management, gap selection, hazard awareness and safe following distances, and prepares you for when you drive unsupervised on your Provisional licence.
You'll receive 20 hours of log book credit when you complete the course.
You can find a Safer Driver course provider online.
Note: There are up to 1000 free places available each year for learner drivers from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Learner drivers who:
- are under 25 years of age
- have completed 50 log book hours, including some hours of night time driving.
1000 free places are available each year for learner drivers from disadvantaged backgrounds. You need to meet the requirements above and:
- have a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink
- be currently or formerly in Out-of-home Care (OOHC)
- complete the Safer Drivers Course Concession Application form - PDF.
What you need
Your postcode or suburb name.
How to apply
- Select the 'Find online' button.
- Enter your suburb, town or postcode.
- Select 'Submit'.
- Once the search results are shown, contact the provider directly to make your booking.
- the Safer Drivers Course involves two modules:
- a 3-hour group discussion with other Learner licence holders
- a 2-hour in-vehicle coaching session with a coach and another learner
- it's recommended you complete both sessions within one month
- course materials and the vehicle will be supplied
- take your licence and your log book when attending the course
- you earn a bonus of 20 hours of log book credit once you've successfully completed the course
- the course is being gradually rolled-out in NSW, and providers are not currently available in all areas.