Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.


If you live in public housing and you need to request maintenance, or report a problem, you can call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322. Specialist staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide support and advice. They're also able to make decisions on the spot about what needs to be done. 

You'll be taken to another website.