If you want to open a clothing retail business in Sydney or the rest of NSW, you can use this page as a guide to get you started.
You may need to complete only some of these transactions. For example, you can register a business name even if you don't want to operate as a company.
As part of owning a business and being an employer, there are a number of other things you'll need to consider. These include:
- setting up your lease, and obtaining the right permits for your building
- operating in line with the Competition and Consumer Act
- ensuring you follow the guidelines for importing and buying goods from overseas
- understanding and complying with Fair Work laws, employment standards, and work health and safety laws
- trademarking your intellectual property, and
- setting up a domain name.
Before you invest time and money into setting up your business by registering and applying for the right business licences, make sure you put together a business plan and carefully consider how viable your business is. Many businesses fail when these things aren't considered. Get in touch with the Office of the NSW Small Business Commissioner or an industry association to get advice specific to your area.
Consider this list as a starting point to finding out what's relevant to your situation.