Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


If you're the head of an organisation employing agriculture industry workers in a non-border region, you may be eligible to register them for an agriculture worker COVID-19 border entry permit.

If you're the client of a self-employed agriculture worker and receiving their service, you are also able to register for a border entry permit for them.

The agricultural activity performed must not be able to be provided remotely.

The permit is available for all workers employed in eligible agriculture industry activities including seasonal workers and temporary visa holders.

Victorian resident agriculture workers who enter NSW must:

  • self-isolate for 14 days except when providing their service, unless:
    • they have been in NSW for 14 continuous days and the self-isolation period has past.

NSW resident agriculture workers returning to NSW must:

  • self-isolate for 14 days except when providing their service, unless:
    • they self-isolated the entire time they were in Victoria, except when providing their agricultural service.

Employers or clients of agriculture workers must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan in place, and workers must:

  • comply with the plan
  • carry the plan with them at all times.

Note: Workers are not permitted to enter NSW if, in the previous 14 days, they have:


  • the head of an organisation employing agriculture workers
  • the client of an agriculture worker.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • 2 identity documents (such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, Australian passport)
  • contact details including email and phone
  • business name and ABN (if applicable)
  • details of the worker(s) employment
  • the type of business.

How to register

  1. Select the 'Register online' button.
  2. Log in or create a MyServiceNSW Account
  3. Enter the required identity details into the online form.
  4. Your identity will be verified.
  5. Follow the prompts to complete the form.
  6. Review and complete your application.

If your registration is approved:

  1. You will be emailed a copy of the registration code(s).
  2. You must then contact the worker(s) you listed in your registration form and give them their individual registration code. The worker can then complete their border entry permit application and enter their code when prompted.

More information

All workers must:

  • comply with their employer's COVID-19 Safety Plan
  • travel by the most direct route to and from their residence/accommodation and the place where the service is being provided
  • carry appropriate Personal Protective Equipment such as facemask, hand sanitiser, gloves, at all times
  • carry relevant ID documents with them at all times
  • keep a record of the date(s) and location(s) of their employment for at least 28 days from the date(s) of the work
  • get a COVID-19 test if they display any COVID-19 symptoms
  • cooperate with NSW Health if contacted in relation to a positive case of COVID-19 at their workplace.

Note: A person who enters NSW from Victoria and is diagnosed with COVID-19, or is a close contact of a person diagnosed with COVID-19, may be required to return to Victoria.

Areas of concern

Areas of concern in Victoria are reviewed by NSW Health every 7 days.

If your worker is from an area of concern they will not be able to access an agriculture worker permit until they have reached 14 days since their last visit to an area of concern.

If the worker currently holds an agriculture worker permit and:

  • their residential address has been declared an area of concern and they are in NSW:
    • they're not required to leave NSW
    • their permit will not be cancelled
    • if they develop any COVID-19 symptoms, they must get tested and self-isolate.

Note: When/if they return to their Victorian postcode they will not be eligible for a new agriculture worker permit if their postcode remains an area of concern,

Eligible agriculture industry activities

Workers undertaking the following activities are covered:

  • Agricultural, veterinary chemicals and vaccine production, transportation and distribution
  • Animal feed production, transportation, packaging, sale, and feeding (including livestock and pets)
  • Animal saleyards, knackeries and animal transportation services (including livestock and pets)
  • Any business or undertaking that is involved in providing support services to:
    • agriculture, forestry and fishing activities under this Code, such as:
      • food safety and verification, inspection or associated laboratory services
      • market access, biosecurity and animal welfare
      • national disaster response recovery and relief functions.
  • Businesses that support agriculture and farming including but not limited to:
    • on‐farm consultants, livestock agents, agronomists, shearing contractors, trades services and contracting businesses.
  • Export supply chain operators
  • Farming activities and other operations relating to agriculture including, horticulture, viticulture, irrigation, permaculture, apiculture – including the movement of bee hives –grains, fibre production, dairy, flower industry, commercial fishing, aquaculture, livestock and forestry. This also includes farm equipment, tools and their maintenance
  • Food and beverage production manufacturing including associated services and goods necessary for the packaging of these products
  • Food and fibre manufacturing: manufacturing of beverages, baked goods, dairy goods, canned or frozen goods, other packaged products, blankets, clothing, building materials, packaging
  • Food and fibre processing: abattoirs, seafood, dairies, timber mills, sugar mills, cotton gins
  • Forestry activity
  • Intensive agricultural production including greenhouses and animal production
  • Laboratory and diagnostic services
  • Teaching and scientific facilities which require the keeping or use of animals
  • Veterinary clinics and related services including:
    • on‐farm visits, animal care services (only where there is a genuine animal welfare issue) and artificial insemination.
  • Water supply, water managers and water transport supporting agricultural production.