If you're a haemodialysis patient travelling away from home (for study, work or holidays), you may be able to access treatment through the Away From Home Haemodialysis (AFHH) program.
Note: The AFHH is not a rebate scheme. You need to meet the eligibility requirements and apply for assistance before you travel.
What you'll need
- the PDF form – 'Away From Home Haemodialysis (AFHH) Program Registration Form'
- your personal and contact details
- your medicare number
- your treatment information
- your insurance details
- the date you'll require AFHH
- the dialysis unit you'd like to attend.
How to register
You must be a resident of NSW undergoing haemodialysis at home or in a centre-based dialysis unit and:
- be well enough to travel, as determined by the receiving dialysis unit
- meet the receiving dialysis unit’s clinical criteria (assessed in the weeks prior to the scheduled sessions)
- have a functioning, non-infected temporary or permanent vascular access
- have been on haemodialysis for at least 3 months.
If you'd like to talk to someone about your individual circumstances, contact 1800 ENABLE (1800 362 253) and select the appropriate option.
Things to keep in mind...
- The AFHH program only covers the cost of 3 dialysis sessions per year.
- Transport, accommodation and costs associated with travel to and from the dialysis unit are not covered.
- Bookings for a dialysis session are essential and must be made before you plan your travel: