Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


As the head of an organisation employing critical service workers in a non-border region (not in the border region), you may be eligible to register for COVID-19 border entry permits for your workers, providing the service is: 

  • highly specialised
  • not available locally in the same, or substantially the same form
  • not able to be provided remotely.

If you're the client of a self-employed critical service worker and receiving their service, you are also able to register for a border entry permit for them.

Note: The employer, or the client (if applicable), will need to certify that the work being carried out is highly specialised and can only be done by the particular worker(s).


  • the head of an organisation employing highly-specialised critical service workers
  • the client of a self-employed highly-specialised critical service worker.

Note: If you reside in the border region and are only providing critical services within the border region, you do not need to register.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • 2 identity documents (such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, Australian passport)
  • contact details including email and phone
  • business name and ABN (if applicable)
  • details of the worker(s) employment
  • the type of business.

How to register

  1. Select the 'Register online' button.
  2. Log in or create a MyServiceNSW Account
  3. Enter the required identity details into the online form.
  4. Your identity will be verified.
  5. Follow the prompts to complete the form.
  6. Review and complete your registration.

If your registration is approved:

  1. You will be emailed a copy of the registration code(s).
  2. You must then contact the worker(s) you listed in your registration form and give them their individual registration code. The worker can then complete their border entry permit application and enter their code when prompted.

Critical service workers

The critical service worker permit is to ensure major infrastructure and essential services are maintained and not interrupted.

Under the Public Health Order, critical services include:

  • movement of freight on a commercial basis
  • movement of persons on a commercial basis (e.g. airline crew on duty)
  • medical, hospital, dental or veterinary care
  • Commonwealth defence and security services
  • environmental cleaning and disinfection in a workplace or other non-residential premises to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on a commercial basis that is not available locally
  • mining, agriculture, construction, energy or manufacturing (those with frontline operational roles undertaking direct and essential operational activities only).

More information

  • Highly-specialised critical service workers entering NSW need to fly in to Sydney Airport and self-isolate, except when providing the critical service.
  • Holders of a critical service worker permit will be re-assessed when they arrive at Sydney airport. If the statements of claim are not considered to be consistent with the Public Health Order, they will be returned.