If you own a short-term rental accommodation (STRA) property, you’ll need to register the property via the NSW Planning Portal before you advertise or offer it for short-term rental.

You’ll be issued with an STRA property ID number, which must be displayed on the online property listing.

Only residential accommodation such as houses, units and terraces need to be registered; caravans, tents and moveable dwellings do not.

To complete the registration process, all hosts must:

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account or your Planning Portal login details
  • copies of documents for uploading, which may include:
    • development consent (if applicable)
    • confirmation of the owner’s consent (if a non-owner is registering the property)
  • your payment.

How to register

  1. Select the ‘NSW Planning Portal’ button.
  2. Select ‘Log in with a Service NSW account’ or enter your Planning Portal login details.
  3. Follow the prompts.
  4. Pay the registration fee to complete your registration and receive your STRA property ID.

Note: If you’d like a step-by-step guide, download Registering a short-term rental accommodation (STRA) property – PDF.

More information

NSW Fair Trading's exclusion register will list guests and hosts who are not allowed to enter into STRA arrangements. Hosts may be recorded as an individual, or in relation to a specific property. People or premises listed on the register may not take part in the STRA industry for 5 years.

Note: If you have purchased an existing STRA property, complete the registration process for your dwelling on the STRA register up to the 'Review and submit' stage. The STRA register will then notify the original registrant about the new request. The current registrant must deregister the property before you can register the dwelling and create a new STRA property ID.

Last updated: 3 June 2024

Rate the information on the page