COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you're operating a heavy vehicle under the Federal Interstate Registration Scheme (FIRS) you'll be transferred to a national heavy vehicle number plate issued in NSW, when you renew your registration.

FIRS closes to renewals and new applicants from 1 July 2018, and the scheme ends completely on 1 July 2019.

National heavy vehicle number plates are now issued for: 

  • new heavy vehicle registrations
  • re-registration of unregistered heavy vehicles 
  • interstate vehicle transfers into NSW
  • lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen number plates of heavy vehicles.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'
  • an inspection report proving that the vehicle is suitable for safe use
  • evidence of Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance covering the registration period
  • your FIRS plates.

How to transfer

  1. Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Gather all the required documentation. 
  3. Visit a service centre to submit your application and surrender your FIRS plates. 

We will provide you with the new plates to put on your vehicle(s).

More information

  • your new number plates will be issued free of charge unless they are custom or personalised plates
  • current NSW registration fees apply.