If you're operating a heavy vehicle under the Federal Interstate Registration Scheme (FIRS) you'll be transferred to a national heavy vehicle number plate issued in NSW, when you renew your registration.
FIRS closes to renewals and new applicants from 1 July 2018, and the scheme ends completely on 1 July 2019.
National heavy vehicle number plates are now issued for:
- new heavy vehicle registrations
- re-registration of unregistered heavy vehicles
- interstate vehicle transfers into NSW
- lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen number plates of heavy vehicles.
What you'll need
- the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'
- an inspection report proving that the vehicle is suitable for safe use
- evidence of Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance covering the registration period
- your FIRS plates.
How to transfer
- Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
- Gather all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre to submit your application and surrender your FIRS plates.
We will provide you with the new plates to put on your vehicle(s).
Things to keep in mind...
- your new number plates will be issued free of charge unless they are custom or personalised plates
- current NSW registration fees apply.