Already have a security operative licence?

If you hold a licence from:

Text size


If you're employed in the security industry in NSW, you must hold a Class 1 or Class 2 security licence. You can hold more than one class and type of security activity on a single licence.

Class 1 security activities include:

  • 1A Unarmed Guard
  • 1B Bodyguard
  • 1C Crowd Controller
  • 1D Guard Dog Handler
  • 1E Monitoring Centre Operator
  • 1F Armed Guard.

Class 2 security activities include:

  • 2A Security Consultant
  • 2B Security Seller
  • 2C Security Equipment Specialist
  • 2D Security Trainer
  • 2E Private Investigator.

Note: If you already hold a licence from:


You must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a fit and proper person to hold the class of licence sought
  • be employed by a master licensee, or hold a master licence of your own
  • have enrolled in, or successfully completed, qualifications with a SLED approved organisation to carry out the security activities for the licence class/es sought 
  • be competent to carry out the security activity to which the proposed licence relates
  • have Australian work rights.

Note: Refer to Am I eligible for a NSW security licence? – PDF for the complete eligibility and application requirements.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application
  • your personal details
  • a current credit card and sufficient funds for your payment (Schedule of Fees – PDF)
  • if you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a copy of one of the following documents:
    • current Australian passport, or one that has expired within the last 2 years
    • full Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract)
    • Certificate of Australian Citizenship.
  • if you're a temporary resident, a copy of one of the following documents:
    • ImmiCard
    • current overseas passport (a visa grant notice is not acceptable).
  • if you're a temporary resident who has spent more than 12 months in a country other than Australia since turning 16, and in the last 10 years, you'll need a police certificate from each of those countries you’ve lived in, and each certificate must:
    • have been issued within 12 months of your application
    • be translated into English (if applicable)
    • be verified by the country's embassy or consulate in Australia.
  • if you've changed your name, a copy of one or more of the following:
    • marriage certificate(s) issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages or, if married elsewhere, the marriage certificate issued by the celebrant or church
    • Change of Name certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
    • full birth certificate showing your name at birth and your new name (extracts and Commemorative certificates are not acceptable)
    • divorce decree
    • deed poll registered with the relevant authority
    • instrument evidencing that the change of name has been registered with NSW Land Registry Services.

Training and competency requirements

Applicants for Class 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1F will need to provide:

  • copies of acceptable training documents, clearly showing your name, date of issue and the units of competency as specified in the competency requirements for Class 1 licences – PDF
  • current First Aid certificate with the unit of competency HLTAID011 (Apply First Aid), or HLTAID014 (Provide Advanced First Aid). The superseded qualifications HLTAID003 and HLTAID006 will be accepted for licensing purposes until 27 January 2023.

Applicants for Class 2A, 2D, 2E will need to provide evidence of the required training and experience as specified on the SLED website.

If, at the time of your application, you've enrolled in training but have not yet completed the required units of competency, you can still provide your training qualifications to SLED up to 42 days from the date of your application. If you do not provide your training qualifications within this timeframe, your application will be withdrawn.

​​Training qualifications should be provided via email at

If you'd like help in completing your application, call the SLED Contact Centre on 1300 362 001.

How to apply

  1. Check you meet all the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather all your digital and scanned documentation. 
    Note: You are not able to make any changes online once you've submitted your application.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Follow the prompts to apply for your security operative licence. 
  6. Once you've submitted your application, you'll receive an email confirmation and payment receipt.

When entering your name, ensure you:

  • enter your given name in the First Name field
  • enter your surname in the Last Name field
  • enter any other names in the Middle Name field
  • if you only have one name, please put a full stop in the First Name field and enter your name in the Last Name field.

Note: The minimum timeframe for a complete application to be processed is approximately 6 to 8 weeks, and SMS and emails are used to communicate with you throughout the process.

To ensure you don’t miss out on important information, you should:

If your application is incomplete, or you have failed to provide the required information, your application will be delayed and may be withdrawn.

More information

  • If your application is withdrawn, you'll receive a refund of fees paid minus the processing fee of $120.00.
  • Once a licence has been issued, there are no provisions for a refund of fees.


To apply for a security operative licence with the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (NSW Police Force), you'll need to create or log in with a MyServiceNSW Account.

By logging in you consent to sharing your name and email address in your MyServiceNSW Account with the NSW Police Force.

The Security licences and permits – Privacy Collection Notice explains how your personal information will be handled once it is shared by Service NSW.

Last updated: 8 December 2022
Your MyServiceNSW Account name and email will be shared with the NSW Police Force.