The Department of Education has engaged Services NSW to run the before and after school care voucher scheme (“the Scheme”).
Providing us with the requested information is not required by law. However, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, we may not be able to process your application to participate in the Scheme.
Collecting your information
Service NSW in partnership with the Department of Education (“DoE”) is collecting your personal information to assess your eligibility to participate in the before and after school care voucher scheme (“the Scheme”). Your personal information may also be collected in order to administer the Scheme, including to review compliance with the Scheme and the Terms and Conditions for participation in the Scheme.
DoE and Service NSW give priority to protecting the privacy of your personal information. We do this by handling personal information in a responsible manner and in accordance with the Information Privacy Principles outlined in the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Types of information we collect
As part of the Scheme, Service NSW may collect your personal information, and personal information belonging to the child/ren that you are applying for, including:
- date of birth,
- contact details such as email address, phone number and residential address,
- identity document details, such as driver licence and Medicare card,
- the child/ren’s Medicare card details, such as the card number, individual reference number, full name and card type,
- the child/ren’s date of birth, name of the primary school they are enrolled in, primary residential address, and the before and after school care provider they will be attending,
- the child/ren’s Centrelink customer reference number (if applicable),
- payment information, and
- transaction details.
Purpose for collecting your information
Service NSW is collecting your personal information and personal information belonging to the child/ren that you are applying for, for the purposes of:
- Processing and determining eligibility to receive vouchers and participate in the Scheme. This may include disclosing your application, and any other additional information you provide, to DoE for validation. Only the information necessary for this validation will be provided to DoE.
- Contacting you, or any public entity or person, to request/verify/confirm the information you provide in support of your application, as may be necessary to process your application, and subject to applicable law. This could include validating the school against the Australian School List, managed by The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), and validating the before and after school care provider against those listed publicly on Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).
- Contacting you to communicate about your application to receive vouchers or participation in the Scheme.
- Responding to and communicating about complaints and enquiries in relation to the Scheme. This may include disclosure of your personal information to DoE and relevant authorities.
- Providing you with further information and guidance about the Scheme.
- Conducting auditing, investigation and compliance activities to assess whether the eligibility criteria and Terms and Conditions have been and are being met, to investigate any allegations of fraud or failure to comply with Terms and Conditions and to assess the financial integrity of the Scheme. This may involve sharing information with DoE or other public or private entities, for example, the Commonwealth Department of Education, Skills and Employment, the NSW Police or the Australian Taxation Office or their delegated agent, for this purpose.
- Verification of evidence of identity documents with the Document Verification Service.
- Other directly related purposes.
Using and sharing your information
Your personal information will be used for the primary reason that it was collected or a directly related secondary purpose. DoE and Service NSW will not provide your personal information to third parties for any purposes not already stated in this privacy notice, or to which you have not otherwise consented, unless DoE or Service NSW are required, or authorised, by law to do so. This may include disclosure to other government agencies and partners.
Service NSW is allowed to collect, maintain and use information about you for our internal administrative purposes, including for the purpose of our interactions with you.
Service NSW may share your personal information, such as your name, your child/ren’s name and Centrelink customer reference number, with DoE and the before and after school care provider that your child/ren attends for the purposes of the provider’s voucher program reconciliation and reporting.
DoE and Service NSW may share de-identified information for research and statistical purposes. This may include sharing certain information to DoE, the Commonwealth Department of Education, Skills and Employment, and NSW Treasury for the purposes of data analysis and aggregation so that DoE can analyse and report for auditing purposes on the program. Any report or publication on the evaluation of the Scheme will not identify any individual who has participated in the Scheme.
You have the option to share an unused voucher with another person by sending it to their MyServiceNSW Account. The name of the child/ren you applied for will be shown on the shared voucher. You can unshare a voucher through your MyServiceNSW Account any time before the voucher is redeemed.
If you choose to use a voucher that has been shared with you:
- a record of the transaction will be created in your MyServiceNSW Account
- the original voucher holder will receive information about where and when you used the voucher.
Your personal information will otherwise be handled in line with this privacy collection notice.
You may ask for access to the information we hold about you at any time and request to update, correct or amend your personal information by calling 13 77 88.
For further details about how Service NSW collects and manages personal information, how you can access and correct it, to raise concerns about an alleged breach of privacy law or other relevant legislation, or to make a privacy complaint, please see our privacy statement. Service NSW is located at 2-24 Rawson Place Sydney NSW 2000.
For information about how the Department of Education collects and manages personal information and how to raise concerns about an alleged breach of privacy, visit the Department of Education's website.