On this page, you can find the following information related to privacy:
- Collecting your information
- Types of information we hold or access
- Using your information
- Protecting your information
- Reporting security bugs or issues
- Our Privacy Management Plan
- Privacy complaints
- Find out more
- Website privacy statement
- Registering for a MyServiceNSW Account
- Digital licences
Service NSW may need to collect your personal information to assist you with your transactions. We can collect personal information directly from you or someone you authorise on your behalf. We will only ask for personal information from another source in the event of an emergency.
Service NSW may hold or have access to your personal information in one of four ways:
- For some client agencies, Service NSW accesses and performs customer transactions directly through the client agency’s legacy systems. For example, Service NSW performs customer service functions on behalf of Roads and Maritime Services by accessing and using its systems.
- For some client agencies, Service NSW holds and manages the primary customer records. For example, Service NSW holds and manages the Seniors Card customer database.
- Service NSW maintains a record of calls and email enquiries handled by its Contact Centre.
- Service NSW also holds personal information about customers who offer feedback or make complaints about Service NSW or its client agencies.
Most of the personal information Service NSW collects will be used to assist in your customer service transaction and may involve another government agency. If another agency receives this information it’s also bound by privacy laws. Your personal information will normally be used for the primary reason that it was collected for or a directly related secondary purpose. It may also be used in an emergency situation to help prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or for law enforcement purposes, or where we are authorised or required to do so by law.We will ask for your consent for other secondary uses or disclosures. For example in some cases we can also make updating and providing your information easier, by sharing your information with different NSW Government agencies if you consent. One of our service providers will ask for your consent at the time of your transaction.
Service NSW will take reasonable security measures to protect personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse. We will ensure personal information is stored securely, not kept longer than necessary, and disposed of appropriately. The Service NSW website is protected by advanced access control mechanisms to prevent unauthorised access. Strong data encryption mechanisms are also used to protect your personal information during data transmission and when your data is stored. How we collect and handle your personal information is subject to the NSW Privacy Laws: the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002.
We have developed a Privacy Management Plan (PDF – 708 kb) to help us protect your privacy.
If you have a complaint about how Service NSW has used your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (below).
For further details about how we protect your privacy, to make a privacy complaint or to seek access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you, please contact:
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 13 77 88
This NSW Government website is maintained by Service NSW, which operates the website using the name ‘Service NSW’. This Privacy Statement applies to all the publicly accessible pages located at site.Service NSW does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to the Service NSW site.Users of the Service NSW site are entitled to expect that any information gathered while using the site will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government's privacy responsibilities and obligations. The New South Wales government's privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Information collected by Google Analytics
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports so Service NSW can identify patterns of usage of the Service NSW site. This assists us in improving the site and the services offered on it.Service NSW will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Service NSW may collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above, in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the Service NSW site
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the Service NSW site
- communications that are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups, or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed, and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the Service NSW site by other users.
Service NSW reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the Service NSW site raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.In the event of an investigation, Service NSW will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may execute a warrant to inspect our logs.
Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Service NSW for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected, it is deleted.
What we do with feedback information
Service NSW provides feedback facilities on the Service NSW site to allow users to provide input into the services provided by Service NSW. Personal details are requested to enable follow up for more details, or for the purpose of providing a reply to your feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. We will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
Access to data
Service NSW captures this information on its own computers and those of its contracted service providers. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers in Service NSW and its contracted service providers for the purpose of website analysis, and to report on the success of Service NSW in meeting its communication and access objectives.
Updates to this policy
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to the Service NSW site and will operate from the time it is posted.
“MyServiceNSW” is an online service run by Service NSW which has been developed to make it easier to perform transactions with NSW government agencies online. A “MyServiceNSW Account” is an electronic profile that you can use to store personal information and enable electronic transactions that require identity verification.
This privacy notice applies to the personal information we collect when you register for a MyServiceNSW Account.
Collection of information and purpose of collection
When you register for a MyServiceNSW Account, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- an email address, and
- a password.
Creating a MyServiceNSW Account and providing these details is voluntary. However, you cannot create a MyServiceNSW Account without providing these details. You may add additional optional information to your profile, such as your name, residential address, mailing address, and mobile number. If you provide these details we may use them to pre-complete online forms.
Service NSW will also use this information for the following purposes:
- To assist you to perform administration on your MyServiceNSW Account. For example we may email you a security code in order to reset your password.
- To provide information relevant to transactions you have performed, or products that you hold (such as a driver licence or vehicle registration). For example, if you renew your registration we will email you a receipt.
If you perform a transaction while logged into your MyServiceNSW Account, we will retain a record of the transaction for audit purposes.
Sharing information with other government agencies
If you choose to link your MyServiceNSW Account to another agency, we may collect personal information and send it to that agency in order to verify that you are entitled to perform a transaction with that agency. When you perform transactions with another agency, you may be provided with details of that agency’s privacy information. These privacy notices can be viewed from our Privacy page.
Intended recipients of the information
Service NSW will only disclose your personal information if it is:
- necessary to provide you with a service that you have requested, or
- necessary to complete an activity that you have chosen to undertake, or
- with your consent, or
- required by law.
Access to, and correction of, the information
You can access, review or correct your personal information by:
- logging into your MyServiceNSW Account and following the procedure for accessing, reviewing and correcting your information contained in your profile, and
- if you are unable to log in to you MyServiceNSW Account you should contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 for assistance.
Name and address of agency collecting and holding the information
66 Harrington St
The Rocks NSW 2000
‘My Licences’ is a function on the Service NSW app which allows you to present a digital version of certain NSW Government licences, for verification by authorised officers of NSW Government agencies. Use of this function is optional, meaning that you can continue to use your physical licence if you prefer. You can choose which licences you wish to have as a digital version on an agency-by-agency basis.
While your personal information will continue to be hosted on agency systems and transmitted to the app as needed, some personal information will be encrypted and held on your mobile phone. Transmission of personal information in this process will be encrypted.
During the course of a check of the digital licence, some information about the check will be captured and stored. No location data will be collected. This information will not identify you directly, and you will be provided with a unique identifier, allowing you to query a compliance action.