Why you are asked for identity information
When you use a NSW Government service online, you may need to provide details from an identity document. This is to connect you with the service as quickly and securely as possible.
The information you enter is then checked against existing government records.
This check helps us to make sure that it's you accessing the service and not someone pretending to be you.
Documents you can use
We'll ask you to enter information from one or more of your identity documents.
Each transaction is different and you'll see the exact documents you need when you start your application.
If you do not have the documents required, call us on 13 77 88 to find out other ways to verify your identity.
You may be asked for the following documents:
- Australian driver licence
- Australian passport
- Foreign passport (Australian visa)
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian certificate of registration by descent
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Medicare card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Health Care Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Veteran Gold Card
- Veteran Card
- Aviation and Maritime Security Identification Card
- If you're asked for 2 or more identity documents, the names on your documents must match.
- For some transactions, you may be able to bring identity documents such as a NSW Photo Card into a Service NSW Centre. Check the individual transaction for details.
- You may be asked to provide a certified copy of a document. This is a photocopy that's been compared with the original and endorsed as a true copy by a Justice of the Peace (JP) or a public officer such as a police officer.
See the Privacy statement for how Service NSW collects and handles your personal information when you use our services and products.
Identity document examples
See examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity.
If you’re unable to supply identity documents, call 13 77 88 for assistance.
Free assistance in your language
Call Translating and Interpreting Services (TIS) on 13 14 50 and ask them to contact us on 13 77 88.