Purpose of collection
The Business Profile is an online service run by Service NSW for Business to make it faster and easier for businesses to transact with the NSW Government.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information, including business information, so you can use your Business Profile on the Service NSW website or the mobile app to perform transactions such as:
- manage licences and registrations associated with your business
- apply for grants, vouchers, rebates and other services
- perform online transactions with us or our partner agencies
- find details about services available to you without having to call Service NSW or wait in line at a Service Centre.
This collection notice applies to the personal information we collect when you register for and use a Business Profile.
You should refer to the MyServiceNSW Account privacy collection notice for how your personal information is handled outside the Business Profile when using a MyServiceNSW Account.
What information we collect
When you create a Business Profile, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN) or other business identifier
- entity name
- business name (optional).
You can choose to create a Business Profile using your MyServiceNSW account, or one will be set up automatically when you transact on behalf of a business with Service NSW or its partner agencies.
Once you have a Business Profile, you may choose to include additional personal information in your Account. You can also add information to your Business Profile when performing a transaction or service with us.
This may include personal information such as your:
- contact details, such as email address and phone number
- business address and mailing address
- role within the business
- date of birth
How we use or disclose information
Your personal information will normally be used or disclosed for the primary reason that it was collected for or a directly related secondary purpose. This may also involve another government or related partner agency.
We use and disclose personal information in your Business Profile to assist you perform transactions with us or another NSW Government agency. For example, to:
- help you to pre-complete online forms
- enable you to complete transactions or access services delivered by us or by another NSW Government agency
- add a service (or transaction) involving another NSW Government agency to your Business Profile and/or Service NSW Mobile App
- identify and assist you when our customer service team is helping you to use and update your Business Profile, or to carry out transactions on your behalf
- help you share personal information with other NSW Government agencies with your consent to make it easier for you to update your contact details across different services at the same time
- help you transact with other NSW Government agencies
- assist you to perform administration on your Business Profile (for example, we may send you a security code in order to reset your password).
We also use your contact details to send information relevant to you. This may include to provide you with:
- information relevant to transactions you have performed, or products that you hold such as a trade licence (for example, to send you a receipt on completion of a transaction)
- important information about your Business Profile or information we hold about you or your business (for example, when relevant to your privacy or the security of your information)
- status updates in relation to applications relevant to your business
- send you general communications material or information sent by us or by our partner agencies
- information based on your business and preferences, including updates and alerts.
You can find more information on how to manage some of these notifications in the Communication preferences section.
We ask for your consent for most secondary uses or disclosures of your personal information unless we are otherwise authorised or required by law, including where it is to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to life or health. For example, in some cases we can also make updating and providing your information easier, by sharing your information with different NSW Government agencies if you consent.
You can choose not to receive some notifications or messages from us through your MyServiceNSW Account notification preferences. This includes general communications material or information sent by us or by our partner agencies.
These communications will contain information relating to Service NSW for Business products or services, though may contain other relevant information from government agencies or partners.
There are some notifications or messages that you cannot opt-out of.
This includes when it directly relates to a transaction you have performed with us or when it is relevant to your privacy or the security of your personal information.
We may also send you information to help prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or where we are otherwise authorised or required to do so by law.
Protecting your information
We take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure, or other misuse.
Physical measures, such as building and equipment security, are used in conjunction with digital technology, such as data encryption and firewalls, to minimise unauthorised access to information.
We ensure that personal information is not kept longer than necessary, and disposed of appropriately, in accordance with the law.
We retain a record of transactions performed using your Business Profile for audit and other purposes. This includes to identify and investigate suspicious or inappropriate use of a Business Profile.
What information you are required by law to provide to us
Creating a Business Profile and providing your personal information is not required by law.
However, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, you may not be able to create a Business Profile or access some government services.
Access and correction of your information
You can access, review or correct your personal information by:
- logging into your Business Profile
- reviewing and correcting your information contained in your profile; or
If you are unable to log in to your Business Profile, contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 for assistance.