If you work in the asbestos removal industry and want to become an asbestos assessor, you need to apply for an asbestos assessor licence.
Asbestos assessors carry out air monitoring and clearance inspections, and issue clearance certificates.
You can apply for the licence online.
Note: The person who'll be holding the licence must complete the application.
To be eligible to hold a licence you must:
- be aged 18 years or over
- hold the relevant qualifications
- have the required training in, or experience of, friable asbestos industry practice.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application
- your proof of identity, such as a driver licence, passport or Medicare card
- a copy of your interstate asbestos assessor licence if you have one
- a general construction induction card (or NSW statement of training number)
- a digital photo for your licence card
- your qualification(s), such as:
- CPCCBC5014A (conduct asbestos assessment associated with removal)
- CPCCDE5001 (conduct air monitoring and clearance inspections for asbestos removal work)
- occupational health and safety (diploma level or above)
- industrial hygiene or science (diploma level or above)
- building construction (diploma level or above)
- environmental health (diploma level or above).
- evidence of experience (not more than 5 years old) working on at least 3 asbestos assessor jobs over a 3-year period. Evidence of experience includes:
- development of safe work method statements (SWMSs) and asbestos removal control plans (ARCPs) for friable asbestos removal work
- air-monitoring reports
- smoke-tests for enclosures
- clearance certificates
- diagrams showing friable work areas and location of enclosures, decontamination units and air monitors
- a reference letter from an employer or organisation, dated and signed on a business letterhead document.
How to apply
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
Note: You can save and resume your application, but if you have not submitted it within 60 days, any details you’ve entered will be deleted.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Complete the online form.
- Take a digital photo of yourself, or have one taken, for your printed photo-card, if your licence is approved.
- Gather and upload your supporting documents, including the digital photo.
- Make your payment.
- Submit your application.
- Visit a Service NSW Centre with your photo ID within 30 days of submitting your application.
- After you’ve submitted your application, SafeWork NSW will assess it and decide if an asbestos assessor licence can be issued.
- If you withdraw your application or are refused a licence, the processing fee will not be refunded.
- Asbestos assessor licences last for 5 years.
- If you already hold an asbestos assessor licence from a different state or territory, you’ll need to surrender it or show that it’s going to expire soon.
For more detailed information, go to the SafeWork NSW website.
Last updated: 1 December 2022