If you want to apply for an Australian passport for a child, you can do this online. All children, even babies, must travel on their own passport, and consent must be given by all persons with parental responsibility for the child.
A child is defined as a person under 18 years of age who has never married.
To get started, visit the Australian Passport Office for information on:
- the documentation required
- the application and lodgement process
- the fees charged
- how to begin your online application.
For children aged 15 and under, passports are valid for 5 years. Children aged 16 and 17 years will be issued with 10-year passports.
- A child passport can be issued to an Australian citizen who is under the age of 18, and has never been married.
- If the child has been married, they should apply as an adult.
Each time a child needs a new passport a full application must be completed, and it must be supported by original documents to prove the child’s identity and Australian citizenship.