Car, vehicle and vessel registrations and licences

If you need to replace documents for your vehicle that were lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster, you may be eligible for registration and licensing concessions and refunds.

For more information visit Transport for NSW.

Digital driver licences

If your driver licence was lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster, you can download the Service NSW app to access your NSW Digital Driver Licence.

The digital driver licence is legal for use across NSW at no additional cost.

Replacement licences

Replacement licences and registration certificates that were lost, damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster will be provided free of charge.

The replacement will be sent to the address shown on the licence or registration if you request the documents either by:

  • the Service NSW online form
  • mail to Service NSW Agency Business Centre, PO Box 21, Parkes NSW 2870.

If you want the documents sent to a different address, you can either:

Before a PWC licence can be re-issued, you will need to supply:

Vessel registration refund

If your vessel has been destroyed in a natural disaster, you're entitled to a refund of any remaining funds on the vessel registration.

If you can, supply a copy of the insurance claim deeming the vessel a total loss, or a statutory declaration with details of the circumstances. If you're not able to supply either of these documents, complete the Request for Refund (Maritime) – PDF.

Note: Attach a photo of the destroyed vessel (if possible). In the space under 'Other Maritime Refunds', clearly state that the vessel was destroyed by a natural disaster and include the address where the vessel was destroyed, if it is not your normal address.

Certificates, licences, permits and registrations


The ATO (Australian Tax Office) can re-issue lost or damaged tax documents and allow businesses affected by a declared natural disaster to adjust their tax payment obligations.

Birth, marriage, change of name certificates

If your birth, marriage or change of name certificate was destroyed due to a natural disaster, you can replace it for free within 6 months of the event.

Service NSW can help you to replace certificates registered in:

  • NSW 
  • other Australian states and territories
  • New Zealand. 

To request a free replacement, visit your nearest Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88.

Fishing licences

If your current recreational fishing licence has been lost or destroyed in a natural disaster, it can be replaced at no charge by either

Liquor & Gaming NSW licences, certificates and documents 

Liquor & Gaming NSW is providing the following support to licensees who have been affected by the floods:

  • replacement copies of destroyed licences and identification cards
  • extensions of interim certificates reaching their 90-day limit
  • replacement signage cost waivers or reductions
  • replacement fees and resupplying gaming-related licences and technician ID card waivers
  • financial hardship provisions for annual liquor licence fees
  • extra assistance for liquor licence applications
  • temporary relocation of liquor licences to other premises.

If you have lost your physical competency card, download a digital version. You can also find basic details of your licence, including licence number and conditions, at the online register.

Liquor premises licence documents can be downloaded for free through the liquor licence manager portal.

For more information, contact Liquor & Gaming NSW on 1300 024 720 or by email at with details of your situation. Include ‘Flood assistance’ in the subject line.

NSW Fair Trading licences, permits and certificates

Free replacement of the following licences, permits or certificates that have been destroyed or lost during the floods:

  • motor vehicle dealer, repairer, tradesperson
  • pawnbroker and second-hand dealer
  • paintball marker
  • tow truck driver (tow truck operators should contact the Police who will advise NSW Fair Trading)
  • tattoo parlour or tattooist.

More information available at NSW Fair Trading.

For assistance:

For property licences and certificates or conveyancer licences:

To apply for a replacement home building or trade licence, permit, certificate or card

SafeWork NSW licences, permits and certificates

SafeWork NSW offers free replacement of some licences, permits and certificates that have been destroyed or lost during a disaster. To arrange a replacement, call 13 10 50 or email

Citizenship documents


If your passport has been lost, damaged or destroyed in a declared natural disaster, you may be eligible for a free replacement. You do not need to complete an application form.

To order your replacement passport:

  • call the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232
  • confirm your identity
  • verify that you were in a natural disaster area.

Australian citizenship certificate

Your certificate can be replaced free of charge provided you apply within 18 months of the declared natural disaster.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs.

Election enrolment

If you're temporarily away from your enrolled address due to a natural disaster, you don't need to update your enrolment.

Visit the Australian Electoral Commission's enrolment advice page.

Family law documents

If your divorce order, current orders or other family law documents have been lost or destroyed in a natural disaster, you can get a replacement copy at no charge at a family law registry.

Visit the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia’s website for more information.

Medicare card

If your Medicare card has been lost, damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster, you can request a new card to replace your old card by:

Your new card will be sent in 3 to 4 weeks to the address you provide. You can use a digital copy of your Medicare card in the meantime.

Your new card will have the same Medicare number that you had before, but your old card will no longer be valid.

Number plates and tolls

Number plates

To reapply for number plates that have been lost or destroyed as a result of a natural disaster, you must provide a completed Number Plate Form – PDF at a Service NSW Centre. If applicable, number plate reissue, remake or hold fees may be waived.

For more information, visit Transport for NSW.


The $40 tag security deposit on an E-Toll tag may be waived if your tag has been lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster.

Motor vehicle stamp duty and fines

If your motor vehicle was written off in a declared natural disaster, you may be able to get a refund on any motor vehicle duty paid on a replacement vehicle.

Revenue NSW may also:

  • give you more time to lodge any documents or returns
  • defer enforcing any fines against you
  • extend your payment deadlines
  • agree not to charge you interest
  • arrange for you to pay any debts in instalments.

For more information, visit Natural disaster relief – Revenue NSW

More support

Last updated: 18 April 2024

Rate the information on the page