The Transport for NSW (TfNSW) concession Opal card for tertiary students gives eligible applicants reduced fares for travel on public transport between home and their tertiary institution. The Opal network includes trains, buses, ferries and light rail.
When travelling on your concession Opal card you’ll also need to carry your proof of entitlement, such as:
- your student ID card from a TfNSW approved institution, or
- your transport concession entitlement card, if:
- your institution's student ID card is not recognised, or
- you're an approved international student – PDF.
You must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- living in NSW
- enrolled in an Australian Qualifications Framework, accredited higher education or vocational education and training course
- a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where a person, by reason of disability, is enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis)
International students on an Endeavour Scholarship, an Australian Awards Scholarship, or an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, are also eligible.
What you need
- your student enrolment information
- your student ID card, or your transport concession entitlement card
- to have given consent for your tertiary institution to share your details with TfNSW, at least 2 days before you apply for your concession Opal card:
- if your institution doesn’t have a specific online form for this, you'll need to complete a consent form – PDF and hand it in to your student centre.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Ensure you've given consent for your tertiary institution to share your details with TfNSW at least 2 days ago.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Select 'I want to order a concession Opal card'.
- Select 'Continue ordering an Opal card'.
- Complete the registration details.
- Enter your entitlement details.
- Decide on your top up amount and type.
- Make your payment.
- Select 'Submit'.
- You can give consent for your institution to share your details with TfNSW through your student centre when you enrol, or at a later date.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed by TfNSW, your concession Opal card will be mailed to you within 5-7 working days. You'll then need to Activate your Opal card.
- You must carry your student ID card or your transport concession entitlement card at all times as proof of entitlement when travelling on your concession Opal card.
Last updated: 6 November 2019