First home buyers may be eligible for exemptions or concessions on transfer duty under the First Home Buyers Assistance scheme, if any of the following apply:

  • the value of the new or existing home purchased is between $650,000 and $800,000
  • the value of the vacant block of residential land is between $350,000 and $450,000.


  • you must be an individual (not a company or trust), at least 18 years old
  • you, or at least one person you’re buying with, must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • you or your spouse must not have previously:
    • owned or co-owned property in Australia
    • received an exemption or concession under this scheme.

You must have already exchanged contracts to purchase your first home or vacant land.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme Application'
  • your proof of identity
  • the agreement for sale or transfer
  • supporting documents (as applicable).

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Download PDF form’ button.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Lodge the completed form and supporting documents with your solicitor or conveyancer.

More information

  • Penalties apply for false or misleading information.
  • You’ll need to occupy the home as your principal place of residence for 6 months continuously, within 12 months of the agreement.
  • Permanent members of the Australian Defence Force may be exempt from the 6 month residence requirement.
You'll be taken to another website.