First home buyers may be eligible for exemptions or concessions on transfer duty under the First Home Buyers Assistance scheme, if any of the following apply:
- the value of the new or existing home purchased is between $650,000 and $800,000
- the value of the vacant block of residential land is between $350,000 and $450,000.
What you'll need
- the PDF form – 'First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme Application'
- your proof of identity
- the agreement for sale or transfer
- supporting documents (as applicable).
How to apply
- Select the ‘Download PDF form’ button.
- Complete the form.
- Lodge the completed form and supporting documents with your solicitor or conveyancer.
- you must be an individual (not a company or trust), at least 18 years old
- you, or at least one person you’re buying with, must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- you or your spouse must not have previously:
- owned or co-owned property in Australia
- received an exemption or concession under this scheme.
You must have already exchanged contracts to purchase your first home or vacant land.
Things to keep in mind...
- Penalties apply for false or misleading information.
- You’ll need to occupy the home as your principal place of residence for 6 months continuously, within 12 months of the agreement.
- Permanent members of the Australian Defence Force may be exempt from the 6 month residence requirement.