If you're a war veteran with severe vision impairment as a result of your war service, you can apply for a NSW blinded soldier pass. This pass entitles you and your attendant (if applicable) to free travel on trains, buses, most ferries, and light rail. You can apply for a free Opal card at the same time.


You're eligible if:

  • you're a permanent resident of NSW
  • you're an Australian or NZ war veteran, and
  • you've been classified by the Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA) as blinded due to war service.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your DVA file number
  • 2 identical current colour passport size photos, with your printed name and signature on the back of one of them
  • the PDF form – 'Application for concession entitlement card and Opal card (blinded soldiers, WW1 veterans' widow/ers or Victoria Cross/George Cross recipients'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete, print and sign the form.
  4. Attach your photographs.
  5. Lodge your application by mail or email, to the details on the form.

More information

  • The NSW blinded soldier pass is your proof of entitlement, so always carry it with you. It is valid for 3 years.
  • The free Opal card just means that you'll be able to use it to open the ticket gates at train stations (excluding Sydney Airport) and ferry wharves.
  • Your attendant can travel with you for free if your pass is marked "Plus Attendant".
  • Outside the Opal network your pass also entitles you to:
    • free travel on regular local bus services 
    • free travel on all NSW TrainLink Regional services, including interstate services.
  • Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services or Great Southern Rail services.
  • Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the NSW blinded soldier pass.
Last updated: 1 May 2023