Applications for eligible apprentices and trainees are now open

Eligible university students can apply for a card in 2023 (date to be confirmed).

Please allow up to 20 business days from the time of application for your card and PIN to arrive.

Text size


The Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card provides eligible apprentices, trainees and university students living in regional, rural and remote areas of NSW with a $250 prepaid card to help ease the cost of travel and support access to education and training.

The travel card can be used at certain retailers for:

  • pre-booked NSW TrainLink regional train and coach services  
  • taxi trips and privately-operated coach services
  • fuel at service stations
  • Opal card top up payments
  • electric vehicle charging
  • selected community transport services.

The travel card is available for a 2-year trial period. Applications open for:

  • apprentices and trainees in February 2023, and
  • university students in 2023 (date to be confirmed).

Applications close on 30 November 2023. 

You can apply for a card online, by phone or at a Service NSW Centre.


To be eligible for a Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card, you must be:

  • living in a designated regional area of NSW outside of Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong
  • aged 16 to 66 and 6 months (current Age Pension age)
  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or
    • a recipient of an Australian Government scholarship, or
    • an apprentice or trainee that meets the Training Services NSW exemption requirements (if you're a current apprentice or trainee, Training Services NSW has confirmed you meet their exemption requirements)
  • in an active apprenticeship or traineeship registered with Training Services NSW, or
  • a student undertaking an undergraduate degree full-time and face-to-face and enrolled at one of the eligible participating campuses.

You are not eligible if you are:

  • completing post-graduate, diploma or certificate studies
  • a full fee paying overseas university student
  • attending a non-university institution, for example, a private college
  • an apprentice or trainee participating in school or corrective services based programs.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account and email address (only if you’re applying online)
  • 2 proof of identity documents
  • your personal and contact details (name, date of birth and phone number)
  • your residential address and mailing address
  • your training contract ID (TCID) number (if you're an apprentice or trainee) available on:
    • your Apprentice/Trainee Approval email
    • Training Services NSW letters
    • your training plan prepared by your registered training organisation, or
    • the back of your Transport Concession Entitlement Card (if applicable)
  • your tertiary institution student identification document (if you're a university student)
  • a security question (used to verify your identity if you have card services enquiries).

Note: Before applying for a card as an apprentice or trainee, please ensure your residential address registered with Training Services NSW is correct.

Proof of identity

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Read the Product Disclosure Statement and the full Terms and Conditions.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account. 
  5. Follow the prompts to complete and submit the online form. 

Your details will be verified and if successful, you’ll receive your card and PIN within 20 business days. Your card and PIN will arrive in separate envelopes.

Note: If you're unable to apply online, you can call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre.

Last updated: 4 April 2023