Manage your card online

You can register your Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card on the card services website to:

  • activate your card
  • check your balance
  • view your transaction history
  • change your PIN. 

For instructions on registering your card online, see the Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card Guide – PDF.

Registering your card is not mandatory, but provides you with another way to manage your card.

Manage your card over the phone

You can also call card services 24/7 on 1800 569 070 to manage your card and dispute incorrect transactions recorded against your card. If the line is busy, please try calling outside business hours. 

Card activation

You will need to activate your Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card within 45 days from the date shown on your card letter. Once you’ve activated your card, it will be ready to use. If your card is not activated within 45 days, it will be cancelled. 

To activate your card contact card services and follow the prompts.  

Your PIN

Your 4-digit PIN will be posted to you in a separate envelope.  

You may need your PIN to complete transactions at retail outlets. You won’t need your PIN for phone or online transactions.  

You can use the PIN that is issued to you or choose your own. To change or reset your PIN, contact card services and follow the prompts.  

If prompted to enter your PIN at retailers, please take care to enter your PIN correctly. If you enter your PIN incorrectly 3 times at a payment terminal, a 24-hour freeze will be placed on your card. You'll need to wait 24 hours before you can use your card again. 

Protecting your card and PIN

You should take the usual precautions for payment cards, including: 

  • not giving your PIN to other people
  • keeping your PIN separate from your card
  • signing the back of your card as soon as you receive it
  • not writing your PIN on your card
  • memorising your PIN
  • not storing your PIN in your phone or wallet
  • destroying your PIN letter.   

Card expiry

You will be unable to use any funds remaining on your Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card after the expiry date printed on the front of your card.

Card balances

You can find out the balance of your card by contacting card services

If the total cost of your travel related expense is greater than your card balance, you must pay the outstanding balance. The NSW Government is not required to pay the outstanding balance. 

If your card balance is insufficient when you try to make a payment, the transaction will be declined and you may be required to cover the cost of the purchase.  

If your balance falls below $5, you have 30 days to use the remaining balance before your account is closed. Any remaining balance on the card will be returned to the NSW Government. 

Any unused funds remaining on your card after the expiry date (printed on the front of your card) will be returned to the NSW Government and will not be recoverable by you. Please try to spend your $250 before your card expires.

Declined transactions

Reasons for declined transactions include using your card:  

  • for non-travel related purchases
  • at a restricted retailer or organisation
  • at a retailer that does not use the appropriate merchant category code, for example, a retailer selling fuel under the supermarket code
  • to buy an item or service that is valued more than your card balance. 

Dispute a charge

To dispute a charge, download and print the regional travel card dispute form – PDF. Fill out the form and send a scanned copy or photo of it to the email on the form. Please contact card services if you require further support.

Lost, stolen or damaged card

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged contact card services to cancel your card within 24 hours. You can request to have any remaining balance transferred to a new card. 

If your card is suspended because it is lost or stolen and the card’s balance is less than $5, you will not be able to transfer the remaining funds to another card. Your account will be closed. 

Authorised representative

A representative legally authorised to act on your behalf can apply for and manage your Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card. 

Your authorised representative can only apply on your behalf by visiting a Service NSW Centre and providing: 

If you've already applied for your Regional Apprentice and University Student Travel Card, your authorised representative can register to manage your card by presenting the same documentation at a service centre or by sending a scanned copy or clear photo of the required documentation to the email on the authorisation form.


If you need help managing your card, you can contact card services 24/7 by: 

Last updated: 12 December 2023