If you want to drive a tow truck, you need a tow truck driver certificate. You can apply for your certificate by lodging an application form with NSW Fair Trading.
First certificates are valid for 1 year, from the date they are issued.
Note: You must hold a tow truck driver certificate before you can get an operator licence.
What you need
- a photocopy of your unrestricted Australian driver licence (front and back)
- 2 recent passport size photographs
- if you have lived outside NSW within the past 10 years:
- a National Police Check no more than 6 weeks old. Checks are available through NSW Police, or the Police in your current state or territory.
- if you hold or have held a driver licence in another Australian state/territory or overseas within the last 3 years:
- a copy of your driving history and licence details from each licensing authority, no more than 6 weeks old
- if you've lived overseas within the last 10 years:
- a criminal history check issued by the relevant authority from each country you've lived in
- a credit card or PayPal account for your payment
- the PDF form – 'Application for a tow truck driver certificate'.
How to apply
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Make your payment by credit card or PayPal using the payment portal link.
- Enter your payment receipt number.
- Gather all the required supporting documentation.
- Lodge your application using the address on the form.
If your application is approved your printed certificate will be sent to your postal address in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
- If Fair Trading refuses your application, you will be advised of the reasons. You can apply for a review if you disagree with the decision.
- If you make false or misleading statements or falsify any documentation, your application may be refused.